danielle-middleton
2nd May 2012

Interview with a vampire (stylist)

Vampirette is the brand-spanking new musical comedy premiering at Manchester Opera House on Friday 4th May-19th May.  Written by Jonathan Choat, Vampirette introduces the world to Vampi, a teenage vampire girl determined to be normal. The musical’s designer Amy Jackson, a graduate from Wimbledon School of Art, has designed for numerous productions over the years […]

Vampirette is the brand-spanking new musical comedy premiering at Manchester Opera House on Friday 4th May-19th May.  Written by Jonathan Choat, Vampirette introduces the world to Vampi, a teenage vampire girl determined to be normal.

The musical’s designer Amy Jackson, a graduate from Wimbledon School of Art, has designed for numerous productions over the years including Oliver!, Alice in Wonderland and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Busy lady that she is with the upcoming premiere of Vampirette, Amy took a few minutes to chat to the Arts and Culture section about her vampy stylings and what has inspired her.

Dani Middleton: Vampirette is about a young vampire who longs only to be normal and have a reflection, are the clothes you have designed for Vampi more akin to those of the sexy True Blood stars or the heart-throbs from Twilight?

Amy Jackson: The costumes for Vampirette are probably more theatrical and comic than True Blood and Twilight.

DM: The musical resurrects some old ’80s power ballads, did the music have any inspiration on your designs?

AJ: There is a real mix of music in Vampirette so I have designed the costumes with a bit of a vintage retro twist, also you can take advantage of the large space with theatre costumes and be a bit more flamboyant!

Like a lot of the current fashion I thought a vintage Hollywood look would work well for a family of vampires in disguise.

DM: Who was the most interesting character to clothe and why?

AJ: The most interesting characters to costume for me were the Vampettes and the band, having the backing singers and band on stage gave me a chance to go to town with the vampire gothic theme.

We decided to turn the three singers in to a Supremes-like trio, very cute and sexy but also vampy and gothic. Having the band also in costume on stage has helped maintain a fun burlesque look, I think they will really enhance the set and party atmosphere of the show.

DM: Have you encountered any backstage diva scuffles over the costumes you’ve wanted characters to wear?

AJ: Thankfully all the costumes have gone down well with the performers, they all seem really excited to have new made to measure costumes and I had a lot of fun choosing the fabric. Also I have been lucky enough to have some really amazing costume makers to bring my designs to life, it’s been a lot of fun, some of the dancers have requested higher heels, other than that they all seem really happy. I always try and talk to the actors before we start making to make sure they are happy with the designs.

DM: What can we expect from the musical? Is it the festival of sex, blood, rock and roll we’ve come to know the undead for or a more family friendly variety of immortals?

AJ: I think Vampirette will be a really good night out, lots of amazing dancing, a mix of rock and roll, pop and loads of amazing dance numbers. The costumes are sexy but not too naughty, so I’m sure everyone will be safe to come and join in. Look out for my favourites the Vampettes, they pop up all of the place!

£5 discount on top four prices for students, excluding Fridays and Saturdays.

danielle middleton

danielle middleton

Former arts editor (2011-2012).

Four women who make the art world a better place

To celebrate International Women’s Day 2024, we asked our writers to tell us a bit about their favourite women artists.

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?

The Whitworth’s Dürer Exhibition is coming to an end: Have you seen it yet?

Dürer, German’s Renaissance painter and theorist, has made a home for himself at The Whitworth. Visit profound work soon before he’s gone…

Review: FACE TO FACE at the Fête of Britain

Brian Eno’s installation FACE TO FACE at Aviva Studios invites focus and contemplation on the state of things and how we might change them.