patrick-thornton

Preview: Reading and Leeds Festival

One thing’s for sure, FestivalRepublic know how to throw a scintillating party.

Reading/Leeds
24 – 26 August

Tickets: from £197.50 for weekend + camping

And so, to another August bank holiday weekend and the youthful anarchy of the Reading and Leeds Festivals. Another awe-inspiringly unoriginal line-up from FestivalRepublic, but who’s actually complaining? This year sees stalwarts such as The Cure, Foo Fighters and Kasabian headlining the steadfast festivals; the latter drawing some distinct criticism from certain blogging circles. However, it’s the reforming of At the Drive-in that has arguably stolen the spotlight this year. The post-hardcore royalty of Cedric, Omar et al will eloquently hit the NME/Radio One stage on Reading’s Saturday and Leeds’ Sunday. Make sure you don’t miss out on these true masters of their art.

One thing is for sure, FestivalRepublic know how to throw a scintillating party. Apart from the disastrous Kings of Leon set of 2009; these age-old curators have a strong judgement in providing rock n roll crowd pleasers. If you want new-age, avante garde electronic sounds produced by an ugly bastard hiding behind a laptop, then you’re probably better heading elsewhere. Maybe to one of those new European dance festivals full of art-school students that seem to keep popping up. But if you want to hear gritty rock n roll music, sodden from the British summer torrential downpours while pissed as a parrot, then the Reading and Leeds Festivals will certainly not fail to please.

Visit the Reading and Leeds websites for more details.

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility

bar italia live in Manchester: An embrace from ‘Tracey Denim’ and ‘The Twits’

bar italia gets the crowd ‘punkt’ with a fruitful return at Manchester’s Band on the Wall, sustaining their reputability after two successful albums