sophie-donovan

Your ultimate guide to Freshers’ Week 2012

If you fancy veering away from the Fresher pack, there’s a lot more on than you may think

MONDAY

Hit & Run Freshers’ Event 2012

Fac251 – £7.50 (on the day)

Factory welcomes North West newcomers with a showcase of some of the best in Manchester bass music. Despite the human ant farm created by the venue’s one-way stairs policy, Hit & Run rarely disappoints. Don’t miss: Phaeleh + Chunky, Dub Phizix + Strategy, or Biome.

Revolver

Roadhouse – £4

Tail-feathers will be shaken at Roadhouse’s flagship weekly event. Revolver DJs share their love for ’50s and ’60s vinyl in an evening sure to set you hip wiggling and toe tapping. Held at Piccadilly’s favourite underground sticky-floored basement, arrive early to avoid large queues.

Juicy vs. Murkage

HMV Ritz – £5

Billed as the event which will transform the Ritz into a “bassy sweatbox of over a thousand ravers” -two of Manchester’s most popular student nights meet to provide one of the largest parties Manchester freshers will see. Expect plenty of hip-hop, garage, bashment and RnB.

TUESDAY

Selective Hearing + Now Wave present South London Ordnance

South – £4/£5 adv

Two of the most exciting collectives in Manchester unite to present a night of debuts at South nightclub. South London Ordnance makes his Manchester debut, supported by Chester local REAL in his first live set. Residents Versa, Reflec, 310-190 & Bam are joined by Now Wave DJs presenting a variety of bass music for your enjoyment.

Gold Teeth

Deaf Institute – £3/4

Warm up downstairs with funk/soul/reggae before climbing the stairs to the infinitely hotter and busier Music Hall. Expect to be slowly crushed to hip-hop/garage/RnB by a gyrating mass. But, fear not, recuperate and dance with freedom of limbs on the staggered seating that overlooks the stage.

Robert Sudal Trio

Matt and Phred’s – FREE (£5 Fri/Sat)

Offering a fusion of Middle Eastern influences and contemporary jazz, Yorkshire born composer Robert Sudal hosts a night in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. Famed for its pizzas and cocktail menu, if live jazz gets you going then get down. (And it’s FREE)

WEDNESDAY

Murkage Club X Headgone Freshers Bruk Out!

Mint Lounge – £3/4

Winning the prize for the longest title comes Murkage and Headgone’s bruk out. For those unfamiliar with bruk outs, one is expected to act in an unruly fashion and even “party shit up”. DJs will be on rotation from 11pm-3am bringing house and street anthems to the Northern Quarter’s Mint Lounge.

Regulate

Black Dog Ballroom – Underdog (New Wakefield Street) – £3 adv/£4 door

Black Dog’s new venue offers cheap drinks and “vibe in the mutha fluffin place”. So if it’s vibe in the mutha fluffin place you’re after, look no further. For hip-hop, breaks and gin and juice why not check out Underdog. Free guest list is available via Facebook and there’s a newly refurbished roof terrace.

Girls on Film

Deaf Institute – £3 adv / £4 door

GIRLS ON FILM is the hottest new club night in town, created to let you explore your inner 80’s child. Look the part with those shoulder pads and dapper lads, and don’t be ashamed to rock out to a rediscovered soundtrack of Duran Duran, Blondie, The Smiths, Bowie, Madonna, Depeche Mode, plus much more!

THURSDAY

Chow Down

Mint Lounge – £3 adv

Loefah (Swamp 81/DMZ/Staunch) returns to Chow Down in the first part of their freshers spectacular. Never failing to make a night, undoubtedly, Loefah is one not to miss. Mint Lounge doesn’t always have the cheapest drinks, but with single + mixer at £2.50, Chow Down seems to have put them right.

Reggae Thursdays/ Hang Loose

Deaf Institute – FREE

Reggae Thursdays are back to fulfil all of your loving, jumping and skanking needs. There’ll be all styles from deep roots to digital, quick fire selections, good times and give-aways, HSSS Audio and a warm welcome for all.  It’s in the main bar from 9pm -1.30am and you don’t have to spend a penny to get in

Coded Rhythm

Joshua Brooks – FREE

Free entry at Joshua Brooks is a rare and wonderful thing.  We’re not sure what to expect from Coded Rhythm, but a bit of complimentary house/techno/garage/disco from the likes of relative unknowns: Boy Nukem, Blockworx, Sub-Tonic and Mattigaan sounds alright to us.

FRIDAY

Be My Guest

Soup Kitchen – £3/4

An exciting blend of African, South American, heavy funk, soul, reggae, disco, cosmic jazz, rock, house & techno jams is what’s on offer from Soup Kitchen’s weekly resident DJ. Simon Tonkinson is behind the diverse offerings – with different guests joining him in the kitchen and taking over in the basement each week. This week’s guest in the basement is Folk DJs.

Black Bee Soul Club

Kraak Gallery – £3

A night of Northern Soul with a sting, playing the best and rarest oldies, classics and floor stompers that you’re likely to hear on a Friday night.  The venue is just off Oldham Street so grab your kit bags, your talc and your best dancing shoes and head on down.

Coolio / Spektrum

Sankeys – £11

The prospect of Sankeys becoming a Gangster’s Paradise for one night only is perhaps too good to miss.  Upstairs is Spektrum, one of the club’s in house parties, playing a selection of pumping techno and future garage. We’ll be offering the chance to win tickets for you and your mates, so keep your eye out for details on how to enter on our website.

Blind Pig

Trof Fallowfield – FREE before 12

Trof are recreating the atmosphere of the speakeasies, including authentic prohibition era cocktails and special guests, The Charlestown Kings.  They’ll be a lot of swing from the ’20s to the ’50s and even the opportunity for free shots if you turn up dressed to the nines.

Night of the Living Dread

Band on the Wall – FREE

Mikey D.O.N.’s reggae night is back, and will include a set from former Band on the Wall resident, Prince Tony. It’s a mega-reggae showdown, with all styles from Dancehall to Lover’s Rock getting in the mix.  Entrance is free so you can spend your hard-loaned money on a few more cans of Red Stripe before you go out.

SATURDAY

Norman Jay

2022NQ – £6

This venue has only just opened, but it looks like a pretty trendy space.  Norman Jay, MBE, played at Pangaea last year and is well known for his eclectic sets and love of house-based beats.  Funk, soul and jazz influences shine through in each of his sets, a deadly combination that will leave you aurally satisfied.

Funkademia with David Dunne

Mint Lounge – £5

Funkademia takes place every Saturday to a consistently full house, feeding a friendly crowd with a diet of pure unadulterated soul-funk.  David Dunne has travelled the world playing for Hed Kandi and is usually renowned for his house sets, but he also possesses a huge amount of love for funk, soul and disco.

Up Presents Jenna G and Blizzard

The Attic – £5 adv / £7 after 11

A major name in the DnB scene, Jenna G is one of the most prolific female vocalists you will come across.  Add to the list Blizzard, who gained notoriety for the ‘Student versus Teacher’ rap battle that you’ve probably seen on Youtube, and you’ve got the makings of a sick night..  There’s also a host of local talent that’ll keep the night going ‘til 3.

Northern Music Awards 2024: Celebrating breakthrough acts, chart-topping superstars, and the people behind the scenes

Celebrating northern music in all of its charm, Nordoff and Robbins host the 2024 Northern Music Awards in Manchester’s city centre