News In Brief 17 Sept

Manchester to get new super-fast 4G mobile network; Man charged over suspected gas explosion; New Prof at Man Met

Man charged over Oldham explosion

A man has been charged with the manslaughter of a 2-year-old boy in a suspected gas explosion in Oldham, Greater Manchester.

Jamie Heaton died while watching TV after the blast ripped through his home and others on Buckley Street, Shaw, on 26 June.

Andrew Partington, 27, who lived next door to the toddler was charged with manslaughter and criminal damage estimated at more than £1million.

Manchester to get 4G by Christmas

Manchester will have super-fast 4G mobile network by Christmas.

Everything Everywhere, owners of Orange and T-Mobile, unveiled their plan to roll out the new service at London’s Science Museum.

4G is five times faster than 3G, and is available on HTC, Samsung, Nokia and Huawei. Industry insiders tip the iPhone 5 to also be compatible.

London, Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham had 4G ‘switched on’ in early September.

Harvard-Oxford academic new prof at MMU

Professor Jason Powell, an Oxford visiting research professor and Harvard visiting research scholar is the new Professor of Community Practice and Social Justice at Manchester Metropolitan University.

Professor Powell told Times Higher Education he felt “genuine excitement and delight” when he was offered the job and wants to help reinforce MMU’s burgeoning international reputation.

He has previously worked at the universities of Central Lancashire and Liverpool.

UoM’s Chancellor finds institutional discrimination in new London Fire Brigade report

in a leaked report, The University of Manchester’s Chancellor, Nazir Afzal OBE, has found the London Fire Brigade to be institutionally racist and misogynistic
“Whose streets? Our streets” chants echo during Reclaim the Night

This years Reclaim the Night protest saw hundreds of students marching from Fallowfield to the Students Union in protest of gender-based violence
How to claim the University of Manchester’s cost-of-living payment

All full-time students at the University of Manchester are eligible for £170 payments for the cost-of-living crisis, here’s how you can claim yours…
University Watch November: What’s going on around the UK?

A round-up of some of the big news from other Universities in the UK this November