lisa-murgatroyd

Soapbox Issue 01

Sounding off about the gripes and irks of everyday life

Each week we’re going to get on our soapbox and shout off about what’s been grating our nerves lately. Everyone likes a good moan or a bitch. Feel like you have something to rant about? Tweet us @mancuniondebate or email [email protected]

Charging over a hundred pounds to reconnect a phone line, when you know someone moved out just the month before. What could possibly have happened that means an engineer has to come out and physically connect you? Did they pull the wires out of the wall in a mad fit of rage? Doubtful.

Freshers week means one thing; Oxford Road is going to be full of people shoving leaflets in my face. I don’t want them, I keep my head down and my hands in my pocket but there’s no chance of running the gauntlet without being forced to take some flyer about some crap party.

“Do you want the 70p?” No, let’s just call it £2 even shall we? Er, no. You might think you’re being helpful, but you sound like an idiot. Work behind a till and you’ll soon grow sick of this phrase. Don’t you say it.

Contrary to popular belief, if you wave or click your fingers at me, I’m not going to serve you any quicker. Start hollering at me, and you’re definitely moving down my mental list. Oh yeah, we do have one. And if you move position, don’t be surprised if you’re forgotten entirely.

Charging a fee for “post and packaging” of an eTicket has to be as big a joke as RyanAir charging you to check in online. You’re charging me to print my own ticket? Wow, how considerate of you! Even worse when they have the monopoly on an event.

The post-diss bliss…or is it?

The promise of post-dissertation freedom was quickly squashed by essay deadline demands, and the desire to do anything but re-open my laptop is taking over

200 years of the University of Manchester… celebrating white male alumni

As the University of Manchester prepares its bicentenary celebrations, it’s time to address the less-celebrated alumni, and question why these individuals have received less attention

Why are we still talking about ‘women who have it all’?

The ‘women who have it all’ narrative is alive and kicking in 2024, but instead of being empowering, it’s a patriarchal trope designed to pit one against another

Stick or twist: Why do students choose to stay in the south of Greater Manchester?

The universities along Oxford Road churn their students into Manchester city centre, and south of the city. As students turn into graduates, why do we disregard North Manchester and stay in the same southern areas?