sophie-donovan

5 songs in the field of… Northern Soul

The movement which brought Black American Soul to the music halls of 1960s North England.

1. ‘Easy Mover’ – London Fog and the Continentals

A minor hit in America, ‘Easy Mover’ was picked up by the scene at Twisted Wheel, Manchester. Infectious bass line and lyrics by Brenda Lee Jones, “Jean” of Dean and Jean, delivered in a gutsy vocal from the Continentals’ Loretta Reid. London Fog have been featured in Mayer Hawthorne’s podcasts for Stones Throw Records.

2. ‘Tainted Love’ – Gloria Jones

Synth-pop duo Soft Cell were notoriously influenced by the music from dance halls of the North covering both this Northern Soul favourite and Judy Street’s ‘What’. Despite the British version’s success, reaching #1 worldwide, Gloria Jones is still hailed the “Queen of Northern Soul”.

3. ‘One Wonderful Moment’ – Shakers

A suitably wonderful distortion heard at the beginning of the record leads into the reassuring falsetto and heavy beat. It’s uptempo rhythm lent itself to the frantic spinning, kicks and backdrops that could be seen at all popular Northern Soul venues such as Wigan Casino.

4. ‘You’ve Been Gone Too Long’ – Ann Sexton

A real feel-good record, ‘You’ve Been Gone Too Long’ is punctuated by horns and has a driven beat. Ann Sexton has been sampled by the likes of Wu Tang Clan’s GZA, and in 2008 after a 30 year absence, embarked on a welcome return to performing.

5. ‘Footsee’ – Wigan’s Chosen Few

In the latter days of the Northern Soul scene, ‘Footsee’ reached #9 in the UK singles chart. Released with Chuck Wood’s ‘Seven Days Too Long’ as a B side, this remixed track supposedly is overdubbed with crowd noises from 1966 FA Cup semi-final between Everton and Sheffield Wednesday.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark