daniel-jones

Who, what, when, ware…

A quick selection of the type of tracks you’re likely to hear over the next few months…

I swear to God, somebody should start a petition that demands each DJ to post a tracklist of their set after each WHP.  By the morning, it’s hard enough to remember who you actually saw, let alone what got dropped.  Here’s a quick selection of the type of shit you can expect to hear:

flickr.com

Track:  ‘Let’s Go’

Artist:   FCL

Label:    We Play House

Had to put this one in.  The vocal sample is so simple but it works so well against a thumping 4/4 backdrop.  When the chiming synth stabs start, everything falls together perfectly.  I’d be surprised if you didn’t hear it in the next 12 weeks because it’s in more mixes than eggs and flour.

Flickr.com

Track:  ‘Furrball’

Artist:   Zed Bias and Paleman

Label:    Swamp81

This track generated a fair bit of hype online over summer when nobody could guess who it was by.  Now we know it’s the dynamic pairing of UK bass stalwart Zed Bias and Manchester’s own up and coming prodigy, Paleman.  It’s forthcoming on Swamp this year and it’s bound to get a few plays on 23rd November when the label gets a room to itself.

aerodynamite.tv

Track:  ‘Gemini’

Artist:   Marek Hemmann

Label:    Freude am Tanzen

Definitely Hemmann’s best track to date.  I’m sure I heard it played a few times last year because I can remember the vocals coming in and not being able to stop my head from nodding in approval.  It just goes to show, if you combine a throbbing bassline with a funky ass saxophone then you’re onto a winner.

blogspot.com

Track:  ‘Phreqaflex’

Artist:  FaltyDL

Label:    Planet Mu

This is Drew Lustman, aka FaltyDL, in quasi-garage gear.  The three chord riff bounces alongside a snappy 2-step beat and rumbling sub, before seamlessly changing into a much grimier affair.   The transitions are expertly managed and show us the true extent of Lustman’s ability in arrangement.  To be fair, the whole EP is a must have.

Live review: Sudan Archives raises the bar at Band on the Wall

The American artist visited Manchester last Thursday, and her performance exemplified everything exciting about music right now
On ‘And In the Darkness, Hearts Aglow’ Weyes Blood shines

The ethereal singer-songwriter delivers strong track after strong track on her latest album
Sigur Ros move and exhilarate at O2 Apollo Manchester

The Icelandic post-rockers return to O2 Apollo Manchester to celebrate their illustrious 25-year career
The Lightning Seeds are still gleaming at the Albert Hall

Live at the Albert Hall, The Lightning Seeds are a blast of energy, joy, and riotously good tunes (including ‘Three Lions’ of course!)