tomacey56

Club Profile: Handball

Tom Acey spoke to second year student Mark Bury about his involvement in University of Manchester handball

What is Handball?

Handball is a fast-paced, physical sport in which two seven-men teams attempt to score against one another by throwing a small ball into a goal. It is often described as being very similar to five-a-side football (apart from the use of hands, of course), as it is played indoors and involves a similar pitch layout.

What are the basic aims of the sport?

The aim of handball, as with many team sports, is simply to score more goals than the opposition. The six outfield players are allocated specific positions, and will generally attempt to create chances through quick, direct passing. The intention of the defending team is to disrupt the flow of these attacks, often through strong physical challenges.

Are University of Manchester any good? 

In short, yes. The first team reached the final of the full university championship last year, and play in a competitive northern league alongside a mixture of university and club teams.

Why should I get involved?

Handball is as technical as it is physical, and the club typically runs a beginners’ course between October and December to help newcomers develop their ball skills and understanding of the game. The club runs a development XI alongside the first team, so less-talented players are still encouraged to take part in one of Europe’s fastest developing sports.

Tom Acey

Tom Acey

Mancunion Sports Editor 2012-13

Victory for MMU as Varsity returns for 2024

It was a day to remember for Manchester Metropolitan as they finished their season on a high, ousting the University of Manchester 20-38 in a thrilling comeback for The Manchester Varsity Series.  At last, Varsity returned to a ticketed event, sold-out by both universities. As kick off approached, supporters were primed and ready to enjoy […]

FA Cup Semi Final: “Who is everyone talking about now? Certainly not the team that won.”

During a nail-biting and controversial match again Manchester Utd, the hopes of Coventry fans reached cloud 9