ellen-conlon

Seven marathons in seven days in memory of Manchester student

Pair run 180 miles from Manchester to London to fund scholarships for students suffering with brain injuries

A 180 mile fundraiser run took place last week in memory of Natalie Kate Moss, a former student at the University of Manchester.

Natalie studied Textile Design and Design Management at the University from 2004-2008, but died suddenly of a brain aneurism in December 2011, at the age of 26.

Last Sunday her brother Sebastian Moss and family friend Ashley Collins began the trek to raise funds for a trust set up in Natalie’s name.

The 180 mile challenge, which started in Manchester and ends in London, is the equivalent of running a marathon every day for a week.

The trust aims to support individuals who have suffered a brain injury through university life and the family hopes to use the proceeds of this fundraiser to award two undergraduate scholarships to new students suffering from injuries brought on by stroke or brain injury.

They hope that the Natalie Kate Moss Scholarships will be awarded on an annual basis and that the fund will also be able to aid further research at Manchester into brain injuries.

Sebastian said: “The Trust will offer students who have suffered a brain injury financial support, providing them with the opportunity to complete a degree at the University.

“Many people with such disabilities are unable to attend because they cannot afford the additional support they require due to their condition, anything from help taking notes to specialised accommodation.

“The Natalie Kate Moss Trust looks to give people a chance to fulfil their potential.”

“The route from Manchester to London was chosen because that was the path that Natalie had taken just before she died. She went to The University of Manchester and then spent many happy years living in Manchester before moving down to London to progress her career.”

Sebastian and Ashley have so far raised £7,737, close to their £10,000 target and are being sponsored in their challenge by top clothing brand Karen Millen, where Natalie was working as a Brand Manager when she died.

The fundraising Facebook page – 180 miles for Degrees, currently has 134 likes and is being used both by Sebastian and Ashley to keep supporters updated with their progress during the training and the run itself and by well wishers to offer good luck and advice to the long distance runners.

Wearing matching t-shirts and armed with Haribo starmix, multipacks of lucozade and boxes of cod liver oil tablets, the pair hope to finish the run on Saturday 29th September, ending in Hyde Park.