harriet-hill-payne
3rd October 2012

The Manchester Weekender 2012: the definitive guide

Plan ahead and get your tickets now for the 11th-14th October, a weekend packed with events, exhibitions and cultural happenings across the city.

Thursday 11th October

Thursday Lates with Kirsty Almeida at Manchester Art Gallery

The opening event of the Manchester weekender promises to be a night to remember as singer-songwriter Kirsty Almeida brings some jazz and soul to Manchester Art Gallery. Taking its’ cue from The First Cut, the paper-themed exhibition currently running at the gallery, wander through a forest of paper trees to Almeida, who will serenade you in a one-off, unmissable performance.

Friday 12th October

Songs of the Caged Bird at People’s History Museum

In collaboration with the Royal Northern, composer-pianist George King brings a new jazz song-cycle, performed by Doreen Edwards, to the People’s History Museum. With multiple ticketing options, the experience can be as simple as  listening to the music, or can be coupled with a walking tour of Manchester, exploring the city’s relationship with the civil rights movement. Though the best tickets are admittedly pricey, this investigation into the Manchester’s past marries human stories, an architectural tour and some extraordinary vocals – surely worth the expense.

Brief Encounter Film Night at 1830 Warehouse

This particular love story has endured for a reason, and for one night only you can catch it screened in MOSI’s 1830 Warehouse, the first railway warehouse – surely the perfect setting. Follow up with a ’40s themed night at Gorilla, and dance the night away to some age-old classics, played on wind-up gramophones.

Saturday 13th October

David Shrigley: Show & Tell at Cornerhouse

Though initial  (free) tickets are sold out, there will be a rerelease so you will still have the chance to catch David Shrigley discussing his new major exhibition at Cornerhouse. The talk will not take a traditional format, but promises to be an inventive exploration of his work and working methods, offering some insight into the mind of one of the most popular artists working today.

Up Then Brave Women at the Black Lion

It was not just the unions who campaigned for social change – women drastically changed the way in which England was run, with the fight for the right to vote. Come and find out more of Manchester’s role in this defining movement of history and the debt we owe to the socialists, trade-unionists and women who campaigned so hard for something we now take for granted.

Sunday 14th October

Manchester Poetry at the Royal Exchange

Let Manchester Guided Tours tell you the stories of the buildings you normally wouldn’t look twice at, in a poetical guided city tour designed to communicate the wealth of history that can be found in Manchester’s every-day architecture.

The Flaneurs’ Guide to the Northern Quarter

Choose one from four walking tours, devised by the Northern Quarter Stories team, and stroll the streets of the NQ learning as you go. If you fancy listening to some musings on the ‘Tribes of the NQ,’ or ‘NQ for Sale,’ this is the walk for you – and you even get some cake thrown it. Get down to the NQ for a sherry-fuelled saunter that shouldn’t be missed.

All weekend:

Hockney to Hogarth: A Rake’s Progress at the Whitworth

Drawing on Hogarth’s 18th-century images of London, David Hockney’s set of 16 etchings take their inspiration from his first trip to New York in 1961. Come and wonder at how much, and perhaps more interestingly at how little, we have changed.

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?

The Whitworth’s Dürer Exhibition is coming to an end: Have you seen it yet?

Dürer, German’s Renaissance painter and theorist, has made a home for himself at The Whitworth. Visit profound work soon before he’s gone…

Review: FACE TO FACE at the Fête of Britain

Brian Eno’s installation FACE TO FACE at Aviva Studios invites focus and contemplation on the state of things and how we might change them.