• University of Salford launches ‘comedy degree’

michael-williams
3rd October 2012

University of Salford launches ‘comedy degree’

20 students enrol on £8,500 a year ‘Comedy Practices’ course

The University of Salford has launched a degree in ‘Comedy Practices’ – the third degree in the country dedicated to the art.

The three-year BA, at the University’s MediaCity campus, offers students “the knowledge, skills and understanding” to help shape them into “versatile and resilient creative practitioners.”

The £8,500 a year course falls under the category of ‘Performance’ degrees, sitting alongside courses such as ‘Dance Theatre’ and ‘Media Performance’. Famous alumni of the School of Media, Music and Performance include Peter Kay and Salford-born Jason Manford.

Course leader Lisa Moore said: “People who have taken our performing arts courses have gone on to be very successful, and we thought there was a demand for a comedy course. It’s a full-time degree. I would say the majority of students are very keen to break onto the circuit and perform, but it can open the door to lots of other careers in TV and performance.”

Modules offered on the course include Radio Comedy, Acting for Camera, and Scriptwriting for Television. Twenty students have signed up for the course so far, and Ms Moore explains that the University “hopes to build on this” in the future. Applicants to the course are asked to have 300 UCAS points, equivalent to three ‘B’ grades at A-Level. Places are still available on the course for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Teenager murders 19 children in Texas School Shooting

On Robb Elemetary’s last day before summer break, a teenage gunman entered the school, murdering 14 children and one teacher.