daniel-jones

5 Songs in the Field of: Prostitution

If you fancy yourself as a real pimp daddy, then this is the playlist for you!

Roxanne – The Police

I’m not surprised that you don’t tend to hear the name Roxanne much these days.  Thanks to this song, it has very risqué connotations.  Good old Sting, ruining names and trying to single-handedly make the world a better place by persuading prostitutes to only have sex with him.  Roxanne probably paid him for the pleasure instead.

Killer Queen – Queen

Here, Freddie Mercury teaches us that not all ladies of the night hang about on street corners.  The killer queen in question owns pretty cabinets, wears perfume from Paris, speaks like a baroness and has a tendency to impersonate Marie Antoinette.  What a classy bird.

Walk On The Wild Side – Lou Reed

It’s easy to forget that this song is about transvestite rent boys.  When it was released, and due to the fact that the phrase hadn’t really taken off yet, very few radio censors managed spot the line – “she never lost her head, even when she was giving head” – so it was left in for teenagers across the globe to adopt into their vocabulary.

The Boxer – Simon and Garfunkel

If you have a browse through the entire folk repertoire, very rarely do you hear the word ‘whore’ mentioned.   For that reason, the third verse of this track has always stuck in my mind.  I don’t think it’s worth trying to reprimand a boxer for visiting ‘the whores on 7th Avenue’ though.  He’ll just punch you in the face.

Big Pimpin’ – Jay-Z

Thanks to Beyonce, Shaun Corey Carter – a.k.a. Jay-Z, a.k.a. Jigga Man – seems to have grown out of his O.G. phase.  What happened to not “giving your heart to a woman”, Shaun?  What happened to “forever mackin’”, Shaun?  Oh well.  I guess pimpin’ ain’t what it used to be.

Interview: Sleaford Mods

Interview: Sleaford Mods

Freya Thomson chats to Sleaford Mods about politics, fame, music, and social media.
Top 5 Kate Bush Albums – Ranked!

Top 5 Kate Bush Albums – Ranked!

Alex Ferguson ranks the best albums from Kate Bush, one of Britain’s most enigmatic and legendary musical artists
Y NOT? Festival 2022: Highlights

Y NOT? Festival 2022: Highlights

Sarah Taylor and Freya Thomson head to the Peaks to review a variety of rock and indie acts including Sleaford Mods and Yard Act.
Kasabian proceed with flare on ‘The Alchemist’s Euphoria’

Alex Cooper reviews the seventh studio album from Kasabian.