tilly-miller

Old Hollywood’s Leading Lady in Red: Get the Look

Tilly Miller scours the high street in search of “Audrey-esque” coats to stand out in scarlet this winter

With winter and even Christmas rapidly approaching, we Mancunians know that we will inevitably be splashing out on some warmer wear over the next month. As the temperature drops it may be tempting to throw on the old cable-knit jumper your grandma gave you three Christmases ago, but I would urge you to step away and leap into the arms of one of these high street takes on Miss Hepburn’s famous look.

In true Hollywood style, the classic red coat has established itself as a timeless option to suit any look and budget. While we may not be old Hollywood celebrities, you will certainly feel like one wearing one of these colourful coats. Not only is the red coat perfect for Christmas, but it also provides the perfect antidote to our mid-term blues; tending to be brought on by looming deadlines and fast evaporating loans!

Here are three of the best high street alternatives I found on my search. Collarless, double-breasted and certainly eye-catching, there’s one for every style and budget.

To complete Audrey’s elegant ensemble seen in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ pair with Topshop’s premium faux-fur black Cossack.

Hep-budget: For a very small fee of twenty-two pounds, Debenhams has the perfect cheapo imitation for those of you wanting to save as much as possible.

Heppy medium: Boohoo’s fifty pound red coat certainly demonstrates a modern take on the old classic with its pleated detail and gold buttons flattering all figures.

Hep-blowout: Whilst this Urban Outfitters beauty will certainly cause your debit card some damage, it’s bang on trend for this A/W. This double-breasted coat is bound to get you noticed around campus, if not for the colour, for your dedication to fashion!

Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was red hair in? Read our beauty article to find out why red hair is trending in the celebrity world and what it means for the real gingers of the world
Beauty is in the eyes of the colonizer

Beauty is in the eyes of the colonizer

We discuss the damaging impacts of western beauty standards on women of colour in society today. Ideas of beauty should not be restrictive.
In the Beauty Bag #8

In the Beauty Bag #8

Have a look inside the beauty bag of fashion marketing student Zahra and see what products she recommends, from hair care miracles to skin care must haves.
Accounting for Style #12 – Second Hand Retail Therapy

A second year student who loves second hand shopping and relies on retail therapy records her spending for the month