tilly-miller

Old Hollywood’s Leading Lady in Red: Get the Look

Tilly Miller scours the high street in search of “Audrey-esque” coats to stand out in scarlet this winter

With winter and even Christmas rapidly approaching, we Mancunians know that we will inevitably be splashing out on some warmer wear over the next month. As the temperature drops it may be tempting to throw on the old cable-knit jumper your grandma gave you three Christmases ago, but I would urge you to step away and leap into the arms of one of these high street takes on Miss Hepburn’s famous look.

In true Hollywood style, the classic red coat has established itself as a timeless option to suit any look and budget. While we may not be old Hollywood celebrities, you will certainly feel like one wearing one of these colourful coats. Not only is the red coat perfect for Christmas, but it also provides the perfect antidote to our mid-term blues; tending to be brought on by looming deadlines and fast evaporating loans!

Here are three of the best high street alternatives I found on my search. Collarless, double-breasted and certainly eye-catching, there’s one for every style and budget.

To complete Audrey’s elegant ensemble seen in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ pair with Topshop’s premium faux-fur black Cossack.

Hep-budget: For a very small fee of twenty-two pounds, Debenhams has the perfect cheapo imitation for those of you wanting to save as much as possible.

Heppy medium: Boohoo’s fifty pound red coat certainly demonstrates a modern take on the old classic with its pleated detail and gold buttons flattering all figures.

Hep-blowout: Whilst this Urban Outfitters beauty will certainly cause your debit card some damage, it’s bang on trend for this A/W. This double-breasted coat is bound to get you noticed around campus, if not for the colour, for your dedication to fashion!

Statement red carpet looks from the 2024 Grammys

Four of the most impactful red carpet looks from the 66th annual Grammy Awards, from Billie Eilish to Lenny Kravitz

Hair, makeup and costume design nominees at the 2024 Academy Awards

Who has been celebrated for exceptional hair, makeup and costume design at the Academy Awards 2024… and who was snubbed?

Devils wear Prada: A retrospective look at the iconic F/W 2012 menswear collection

With the 2024 fashion calendar now in full swing and the hype of the BAFTA’s still present, we reflect on one of the most cinematic catwalks in fashion history

Men’s fashion is finally having its moment during the 2024 awards season

Are we finally seeing some creativity in men’s award show fashion? The experimental cuts and colour on show at the latest BAFTAs and Golden Globes red carpets suggest so