louise-greenfield

The MUMS Lunchtime Concert series

Univeristy of Manchester’s Music Society (MUMS) preview their upcoming lunchtime concert series
The MUMS Lunchtime Concert series

The MUMS Lunchtime Concert series this year boasts a grand variety of ensembles displaying a wide array of talent from across the university. All concerts are all held in the Cosmo Rodewald Concert Hall in the Martin Harris Centre for Music and Drama, Bridgeford Street and are admission FREE.

Friday 2nd November, 1:10pm.  
Beginning our series are The Cosmo Singers (one might say ‘The Cosmo Speakers’ upon hearing a feature of their programme: Ernst Toch’s Geographical Fugue.) Other composers featured include James MacMillan and Arvo Pärt With a diverse repertoire of choral music, this concert will take you on a musical journey, quite literally.
Friday 9th November, 1:10pm.
The Saxophone Ensembles showcase their talent in their first lunchtime concerts since forming. With a varied, eclectic repertoire consisting of mostly contemporary music for different ensembles, this is one not to be missed.
Friday 16th November, 1:10pm.

The penultimate concert of the series presents the vocalists of the department. It brings together the close-harmonies of the acclaimed Manchester University Barbershop Chorus alongside the soaring sonorities and dramatic airs of opera arias, duets and art-songs, all performed by talented members of MUMS.

Friday 30th November, 1:10pm.
Concluding the series are the MUMS Brass Band. Newly-founded by 3rd year Jonathan Evans, this ensemble has made its mark in the department in an emphatic manner: past performances have provoked standing ovations and rapturous applause. Alongside Arutunian’s Trumpet Concerto, played by the guest soloist Christopher Avison, this concert features a new work by ex-Manchester University student Timothy Langston called “Greek”. Motivated by the music of Beethoven and Homer’s The Odyssey, it aims to replicate the sense of gravitas in these major works. Timothy will be experimenting with spatiality, so keep your ears AND eyes open!

The Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever was the most wonderfully strange day of my life

Jessica Hamilton attends The Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever at Holyrood Park
Pixies play intimate show at Band on the Wall, Manchester

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor went along to Pixies’ 500-capacity charity secret show at Band on the Wall.
Sorry Announce New Album With ‘Let The Lights On’

Molly Gregson reviews the new track from London post-punks Sorry.
In Conversation with the Reytons

In Conversation with the Reytons

Dan Knight interviews The Reytons, discussing musical influences, band names, gigs and the growth of the band.