alex-underwood
22nd October 2012

Basketball: Serban inspires magnificent comeback

University of Manchester 57-54 Bangor University

The University of Manchester Men’s basketball first team delivered a superb last-quarter comeback to defeat Bangor University 57-54 on Wednesday night at the Armitage Centre.

After chasing shadows for the first three quarters, Manchester, inspired by number 10 Carol Serban, finally got going in the final quarter to turn around what looked like an insurmountable deficit.

This proved to be anything but a quiet season opener, with both teams playing at a frenetic pace from the outset.

It was Bangor who came out of the blocks the quicker, and were disappointed to be behind after the first quarter. The hosts committed a number of fouls early on, but Manchester forwards Tom Marks and Freddie Stephenson took advantage of the few chances they were given as Manchester took a fortunate 17-16 lead at the break.

Sofiane Bébert and Jonathan Lake tried manfully to get Manchester moving, but they started the second quarter as sluggishly as the first, allowing the visitors to quickly take control of the game.

Bangor penetrated the home defence time and again and Manchester responded by making wholesale changes. However, they were unable to stem the flow and the visitors boasted a 30-23 lead by the half.

Judging by the Manchester coach’s reaction, the players were likely given the hairdryer treatment in the dressing room, but it seemed to have no effect as Bangor continued the onslaught into the third quarter.

13 points without response looked to have killed Manchester off; they continued to give away cheap fouls and, as frustration began to build, Bangor played some quick incisive basketball to take a 49-29 lead into the final quarter.

However, Manchester came out a completely different team and immediately dominated. The Romanian Serban was at the centre of everything, putting away 17 crucial points in a breathless last 10 minutes.

This brought the crowd to life and seemed to galvanize the home team. Spirited reactions to two-pointers brought a vital response from the Manchester players, who showed tremendous nerve to take their chances.

Bangor began to tire and tempers briefly boiled over, as Bangor’s number 21 inexplicably kicked a folding chair across the court after yet another Manchester break. The visitors, it seemed, were struggling to keep their cool as the tide began to turn in Manchester’s favour.

With four minutes left on the clock, Manchester drew level at 51-51, before the teams exchanged free-throws to make it 53 apiece going into the final minute. Bangor scored again from the free-throw line but Manchester were not to be denied, as two-point plays from Stephenson and then Serban finally broke the Welsh resistance.

It was a wonderful effort from Manchester, who stayed positive despite behind for most of the game. They will now look to build on the excellent spirit they showed on Wednesday night when they travel to Liverpool Hope next week.

Why European rugby must not forget Italy

Italy’s narrow loss to England in the Six Nations was a reminder that it has the potential to compete with the very best in rugby

F1 Academy partners with Charlotte Tilbury for 2024 season

A huge announcement for the world of motorsport as F1 Academy is partnering with none other than Charlotte Tilbury

Did the 2023 F1 season push drivers too far?

Drivers are used to pushing themselves physically and mentally as high-performing athletes in the world of motorsport, but the 2023 season sparked discussions about driver welfare following an intense calendar and extremely demanding race weekends

F1 vs feminism: The impact of Susie Wolff allegations against female involvement in the sport

The 2023 allegations and subsequent investigations against Susie Wolff could have an impact on the role of women in motorsports