keir-stone-brown
23rd October 2012

Dream Job – TV Presenter

Keir explores the world of being a TV presenter

Qualifications: BJTC accredited courses
Location: Worldwide
Salary: 14K – 100K+

Do you have a clear and attractive voice? Likeable personality? The confidence to be quick witted and handle unexpected events smoothly? If the answer is yes to all of the above then a job as a TV presenter may be just the ticket for you. Being a TV presenter offers up great experiences from travelling the world to meeting inspirational people but as with all jobs it does have its challenges. Some presenters, particularly at the beginning of their careers, have to work long hours till late at night or even early in the morning. But putting in the work can pay dividends later with primetime slots for the most successful. There are no set entry qualifications, but a BJTC accredited course may help. These courses aim to make you more employable and give you the skills necessary to enable you to cope with the demands of life in the broadcasting industry. The courses can also open up doors as the BJTC holds members such as the BBC, Channel 4, ITV and Sky. However as much as a qualification can help personality, enthusiasm and determination are as, or more, important. Getting involved in broadcasting and getting as much experience as possible is essential so sending off CVs and harassing (to a certain extent!) is a must and you may well start as a runner, which involves collecting coffees and doing all the jobs no one else wants to. If you are interested get in touch with Manchester’s own FUSE TV and see if there is anything you can do to get you on the path to stardom

My year abroad, the visa process, and getting lost in translation

Preparing for your year abroad can feel daunting, but with a little preparation and a willingness to get things wrong at first, there’ll be plenty to look forward to

Getting involved: Volunteering at the Booth Centre

Getting involved in volunteering can help you feel more connected to Manchester and support the local community, here’s one writer’s experience

‘An audio treat’: The Mancunion’s favourite podcasts

Whether you’re looking to keep up with current affairs, celebrity gossip or even Formula 1, we’ve got you covered with our top pick of podcasts