faye-broadbent

‘Beasts of Southern Wild’

At the Cornerhouse this week

Benh Zeitlin’s Beasts of the Southern Wild is garnering much critical acclaim, receiving several awards at the Sundance Film Festival this year, and it is no surprise why. Screening now at the Cornerhouse, the director’s debut creates an eccentric hybrid between fantasy and reality telling a sentimental tale of a young girl and her father.

In what at first seems an almost post-apocalyptic setting, the water-logged town called the Bathtub in the Bayou of Louisiana brings us to a much simpler and primitive way of life. The story of a sick father Wink and his young daughter Hushpuppy is touching. The film is a journey for both the audience and the characters, and at times it feels part hallucination and part reality against the setting of the Katrina-like storm. Beasts of the Southern Wild is certainly inspired by the work of Terrence Malick (The Tree of Life) and this is a cornerstone for the film as it brings us aspects  reminiscent of his work, in particular the reference to the fantastical shots of the ‘beasts.’

Even though there is no doubt it will draw a few tears, this apocalyptic setting does not instigate a downbeat ending. The performance from Wink (Dwight Henry) is outstanding, and for a non-professional actor this is quite awe-inspiring. In particular with Hushpuppy, child acting performances don’t get quite as good as this, and I’m sure that after this film Quvenzhané Wallis will be deservedly caught in a bright spotlight.

Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.
Moon Knight: A predictable return to Marvel’s superhero formula

Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke shine in this disappointing first outing of one of Marvel’s most controversial characters
Review: The Kardashians

Review: The Kardashians

Keeping Up is long gone, it’s all about the Kardashian’s new show… The Kardashians! But with it only being available on Disney+, is it worth the subscription?
Resurgence of the witch: The modern feminist icon?

From Rosemary’s Baby to Midsommar, how has the figure of the witch changed in cinema and beyond?