tom-ingham

5 Songs in the field of…The Five Senses

Tom Ingham takes a sensual approach to this week’s feature

The Doors – Touch Me

It’s no secret that Jim Morrison liked a drink or two, and when you combine Dutch courage with being a ridiculously famous rock star, you can forgive the fella for being a bit forward. However, I’d at least expect him to buy me dinner first before I consider touching anything! Sorry, Jim.

The Who – I Can See for Miles

Although Roger and Pete’s live fast die young plan kind of went out the window forty years ago, they’re still going strong. Well, apart from Pete’s tinnitus and Daltrey’s dodgy vocal chords, they’re practically as good as new. However, the claim ‘I can see for miles’ is one I can’t explain.

Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit

Ah, the distinctive smell of teen spirit; more Lynx and dad’s aftershave than hopes and dreams if you ask me. I can imagine there were instances where Kurt probably forgot his washbag and stunk out the dressing room post-gig. Sadly, Kurt is in no longer with us to offer a denial.

Simon and Garfunkel – The Sound of Silence

The sound of silence, that unmistakable nothingness that strikes fear into even the most experienced joke tellers. The deafening silence you’d get if you bugged Union J’s dressing room and Louis Walsh wasn’t there to tell them what to think – I don’t think Paul and Arty ever had that problem.

The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony

Bittersweet pretty accurately sums up Richard Ashcroft’s time with The Verve. From the highs of forming a successful band with his school mates to the mounting tensions that forced their split in 1999. However, once you’ve released an album as popular as Urban Hymms, I’m guessing the lasting taste is probably rather sweet.

Tom Ingham

Tom Ingham

Music Editor

Cirque du Soleil: In conversation with Roger Hewett

Jessica Hamilton interviews band leader Roger Hewett ahead of Cirque du Soleil: Corteo’s residency at AO Arena
Live Review: Kim Wilde at Bridgewater Hall

Legendary singer Kim Wilde’s The Greatest Hits Tour played at Bridgewater Hall – where she was joined by China Crisis.
Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Mancunian rapper Aitch played an intimate album launch show, combining old favourites and new numbers for a sold out crowd.
Leeds Festival 2022: Women rule most diverse line-up to date

Leeds Festival invited six headliners: Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Dave, Megan Thee Stallion, Halsey, and Bring Me The Horizon to perform to sold out crowds over the August bank holiday weekend.