5 Academic Sartorial Stereotypes

Gráinne Morrison and Aimée Grant Cumberbatch give us 5 students you are bound to encounter…

Sleepy Student

Shuffling about like an extra from the latest low budget zombie film, you’ll find this student species napping at the back of the lecture theatre (when they bother to turn up) or snoozing in a secret corner of the library. Their uniforms are barely disguised sleepwear teamed with beanies (doubles up as a pillow).

Business Guy

Out of Oak House and into the office

This breed of student belongs more in the boardroom than in the classroom. Suave and sophisticated at all times, jacket and shirt are a must, briefcase glued to one hand, blackberry to the other.

Trustafarian

Often found roaming Oldham Street clutching an Urban Outfitters satchel and raving about how they’d been a fan of Alt-J way before they were even nominated for the Mercury prize.  Most Trustafarians would ask if we could please retake the above photo, using Instagram instead.

Leavers

You can take the student out of Sixth-Form…

We all know them; we also know what school they went to and what year they left. These are the (mainly female) students that love the ‘I didn’t put any effort into this outfit’ look whilst wearing so much mascara they find it hard to blink. Can be identified by the fact their face and neck are two different shades, the former usually being a vibrant shade of orange.

Gap Yah

The Gap Yah student is easily spotted in the remnants of their travelling attire, finding it hard to accept they are no longer hiking in South Asia. Often sharing their enlightening tales of the life changing experience the Full Moon party in Koh Phangan gave them. But be nice, a Gap Yah student means well – like, they’ve worked with orphans, yah?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse