richard-crook

Tommy Fish issues new statement on societies funding scandal

Activities Officer has issued a revised statement following the societies scandal last week.

Tommy Fish, Activities Officer for the Students’ Union, has issued a new statement regarding the societies funding scandal. He previously issued a short statement apologising for e-mailing societies telling them they ‘needed’ to attend Demo2012 if they wanted more funding. The e-mail gained national coverage, with stories emerging in other student newspapers and the Daily Mail. You can see The Mancunion’s story here: https://mancunion.com/2012/11/19/backlash-union-rewards-societies-supporting-demo2012/

Tommy Fish’s new statement in full:

First and foremost, this story should never have got beyond The Mancunion. I wrote a stupid email, I backtracked, corrected it, and apologised unreservedly. End of story. There was no ‘bribery’ as the Daily Mail put it. It’s not as if I was standing there with a bag of cash for societies that took part in the Demo. Secondly, the Mail’s references to ‘taxpayer’s money’ are completely misinformed. Do your research before you write that nonsense.

I fully take the blame for this and the rest of the Union and the Exec should be left alone. If anyone has something to say, say it to me. For that reason I emailed the writer in question to say that he was remarkably light on me, and too harsh on my peers.

I apologise once more if it seemed like I was trying to impose my political views on others. It is for that reason I immediately released the statement essentially telling societies to ignore my email. I am very proud to be an elected officer here, and FROM the start I have always said that my door is open for societies to come in and make suggestions on how things should run. Many have been doing so and the outcome has always been friendly and productive. Changes are being made so now is the time to get your views across, so as ever, pay me a visit or send me an email with opinions. I want societies to dictate how they are run, rather than have a system imposed upon them.

In terms of the Demo itself, politically what I did was wrong, but from a moral viewpoint I’m afraid I cannot back down and let the media give me a kicking for something I wholeheartedly believe in. Young people in this country are facing a bleak future and I’m not just talking about students, I mean school kids and unemployed 15-25 year olds (which currently sit at 1 in 5 out of us). Tuition fees have tripled, leading to a fall in the number of students, which in turn has led to the death of Fallowfield.  This used to be the most vibrant student town in the country, and it is now a pathetic shadow of its former self. EMA is no more, housing conditions are getting worse: rents are rocketing, house ownership taken for granted by our parents seems a pipe dream for this generation, child poverty is on the rise, all the while pay and bonuses for top Executives went up by 27% last year.

Am I concerned about this? Do I think that students should protest?  Do I think University of Manchester students should protest? Yes! I think they owe it to themselves and to their generation to let politicians and fat cats know what they think. What else should they do? Sit back, watch the X-Factor and celebrate the rise in poverty and inequality? Students have always protested against social injustice and wars.  They are the conscience of society.

Richard Crook

Richard Crook

Editor-in-chief at The Mancunion. E-mail me at [email protected].

Greater Manchester Mayoral Hustings held at the Students’ Union

Ahead of the Mayoral election on May 2, the Students’ Union held Mayoral hustings where candidates made their case to students