jonathan-breen
3rd December 2012

Academic wins science award

Prof wins prize for breakthrough work in nuclear physics

A professor from the University has won a prestigious physics prize.

Prof Jon Billowes, from the School of Physics and Astronomy, won the 2012 Nuclear and Particle Physics Division Prize from the Institute of Physics.

The international charity awarded him the accolade for important recent advances in research or development, on a specific topic relevant to physics.

Specifically, for his work in experimental nuclear physics, particularly regarding breakthroughs in laser spectroscopy .

Professor Billowes receives a certificate, together with a cheque for £500 and will be invited to give a talk at a future conference.

Prof Billowes was also recognised for his leading role in the development of the University’s nuclear energy and medicine research centre the Dalton Nuclear Institute.

“Appetite” for escalation, says UoM Rent Strike

The University of Manchester Rent Strike claims to have withheld half a million pounds in rent, and have threatened to escalate the strike further

The science behind music production

Science and music might seem unrelated, but physics is the key to all of our favourite songs and bands

12 Days of Christmas: 12 drummers neurologically reprogrammed

On the 6th day of Christmas, we discuss how drumming can affect the brain and mental health