jonathan-breen
3rd December 2012

Academic wins science award

Prof wins prize for breakthrough work in nuclear physics

A professor from the University has won a prestigious physics prize.

Prof Jon Billowes, from the School of Physics and Astronomy, won the 2012 Nuclear and Particle Physics Division Prize from the Institute of Physics.

The international charity awarded him the accolade for important recent advances in research or development, on a specific topic relevant to physics.

Specifically, for his work in experimental nuclear physics, particularly regarding breakthroughs in laser spectroscopy .

Professor Billowes receives a certificate, together with a cheque for £500 and will be invited to give a talk at a future conference.

Prof Billowes was also recognised for his leading role in the development of the University’s nuclear energy and medicine research centre the Dalton Nuclear Institute.

What Game Theory reveals about the science of cooperation

Game theory is the science of competition and cooperation. It seeks to reveal the best strategies which bring you maximum gain. What does it show about life and the world around us?

Universally Manchester festival: details released for the bicentenary celebrations

The bicentenary festival is set to run from June 6 to 9 with 150+ events across campus

Students’ Union will not adopt a BDS policy despite vote in favour

The motion, voted for by students in December 2023, passed with 89.6% of students voting in favour and would have resulted in the Students’ Union adopting BDS policy