lauren-arthur

Style Profile: A$AP Rocky

Lauren Arthur on hip-hop’s newest sartorial headline-grabber

Having blasted his way into the music limelight, hip-hop rapper A$AP Rocky is also causing quite a stir in the fashion world. The Harlem born MC appeared on the music video show 106 & Park in what appeared to be a long black and white dress. As always, the internet was almost instantly abuzz with reactions; some questioned Rocky’s sexuality whilst others praised his original outfit choice. The rapper has since stated that the garment wasn’t a dress and was in fact an ‘oversized shirt’. Regardless, it appears the hip-hop artist is not alone: Kanye West performed at the Hurricane Sandy relief concert wearing a Givenchy leather skirt and meggings. Speaking to MTV and to his fans, Rocky stated: ‘If fashion is your life and that’s what you like and that’s what you’re about, express yourself, wear what you want and nothing matters, nobody else opinions matter, be the person that starts the trend.’

Spotted in the front row of New York fashion week, featured in i-D magazine’s ‘Alphabetical’ issue and having collaborated with Alexander Wang, this twenty-four year old knows his high fashion. His refreshing attitude that combines the two industries of music and fashion has earned him a lot of respect as he pushes the boundaries of one of music’s most hyper-masculine genres. Whether this hint of androgyny was a one-off ensemble or the beginning of a revolutionary hip-hop movement, Rocky, with his gold teeth and plaited braids, is certainly making a name for himself.

The strange collaborations the fashion world didn’t need

Collaborations can be creative, political, or often both at the same time. But they are also a stamp of exclusivity for those who can afford them. We take a look at some of the weirdest collaborations that have been released recently, and consider if they really need to have happened
Exclusive interview: GIO-GOI x Umbro on Rihanna, rock ‘n’ roll and international recognition

GIO-GOI x Umbro has just released its latest collaborative line. We caught up with GIO-GIO co-founder Anthony Donnelly about everything GIO-GOI and what’s to come next
Dries Van Noten collaborates with Stüssy

After what seemed like the most epic streetwear collab this year between Gucci and Palace, now it’s Dries Van Noten and Stüssy in the spotlight with their newest collection
Sex work and the fashion industry: An acceptable source of inspiration?

Miu Miu, Balmain, and Louis Vuitton, to name a few examples, have all looked to sex as an inspiration for their collections, but why? How much is too much?