hannah-lawrence
1st April 2013

Must See: 1st – 8th April

Sticking around in Manchester this Easter? Here’s our guide to what’s on over the next week for those of you looking to take a welcome break from John Rylands

Cannibals

Written by Manchester playwright Rory Mullarkey and directed by Michael Longhurst, Cannibals is a play about Lizaveta, a woman caught in the midst of war and progress, forced her to leave her home. The play follows her journey across continents trying to piece her life back together.

Runs 3rd April – 27th April at the Royal Exchange. Tickets £10.

The Glass Menagerie

David Thacker directs this production of Tennessee Williams’ famously autobiographical play which follows the protagonist Tom’s recollections of his mother, Amanda, and his sister, Laura. The hopes, regrets and idealisms of a family suffering the abandonment of a father and husband are played out in this postwar American drama.

Runs 27th March – 20th April at Bolton Octagon. Tickets £9.50.

Dystopia

A physical theatre production which follows 18 survivors in a post-apocalyptic Manchester whilst they form a new society in which some try desperately to remember and others try desperately to forget. Who will survive? Who will fall? Exploring the reality of power, memory and companionship this performance from the Contact’s Young Actors Company poses big questions about humanity and mankind’s ability to survive.

Runs 3rd April – 6th April at the Contact. Tickets £5.

The Royal Exchange Theatre gets political (sort of)

This year’s festive musical at the Royal Exchange Theatre is Betty: A sort of Musical, which (sort of) tells the story of Baroness Betty Boothroyd, who is (sort of) played by Maxine Peake
We’re off the see the Wizard, the Wonderful Wizard at Curve

Made at Curve’s revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Wizard of Oz, an adaptation of the iconic film, is having its regional premiere at Curve, ahead of a West End transfer
Get locked up at Riverside this Christmas

Cages, a rock musical with state-of-the-art technology and a hologram for a leading lady, ends its run at Waterside in a fortnight
Review: Spring Awakening (UMMTS)

Review: Spring Awakening (UMMTS)

UoM’s illustrious Musical Theatre Society perform coming-of-age musical Spring Awakening with astonishing talent and maturity