george-bailey

Live: Sigur Rós

George Bailey experiences Sigur Rós at Manchester’s O2 Apollo

Manchester O2 Apollo

Sunday 3rd March

The bleak suburb of Ardwick couldn’t be further from the ethereal beauty of Iceland’s Nordic landscapes. Yet, as Sigur Rós take to the stage to rapturous applause, the art-deco walls of the Apollo are washed away in a sea of mountains, glaciers and waterfalls.

A thin veil obscures the band for opener ‘Yfirborð’, adding to the aura of mystery that comes with lead singer Jónsi’s lyrics. Sung in both Icelandic and the made-up Vonlenska language, the illegibility of Birgisson’s vocals simply becomes another instrument in itself. The enigmatic frontman cuts a dramatic figure, silhouetted against the white screen whilst playing guitar with a cello bow.

Jónsi’s falsetto vocals are delivered beautifully in ‘Vaka’, a delicate number accompanied with haunting images of gas mask-clad children playing in a post-apocalyptic world, where black ash falls from the sky like snow. It’s a far cry from the uplifting ‘Hoppípolla’, a song which brought them international renown, but both are executed with aplomb. Considering the recent departure of keyboardist Kjartan Sveinsson, a mainstay in the band since 1998, they appear tight and their music has never sounded better.

The only appearance of the band’s latest album, Valtari, comes in the form of ‘Varúð’, a song that begins with ambient strings, but builds up pace and intensity before exploding into a breath-taking crescendo. Despite pouring everything into their draining performances, the trio are well known for being shy and introverted. They are in a typically quiet fashion tonight, remaining eerily silent between each song.

New material is peppered throughout the set, offering a rare glimpse into the future of a band whose sound has barely changed throughout their six-album career. ‘Brennisteinn’ sees Sigur Rós explore largely-unfamiliar territory though. Jónsi’s bowed guitar groans in an almost-mournful way, and a thumping, distorted bassline reveals a much darker side to their sound.

Sigur Rós have always had a thing for the longer songs. A two-track encore ends up lasting over half an hour and occupies both ends of their musical spectrum. ‘Svefn-g-englar’ is performed with a delicacy that leaves the crowd awe-struck, before they unleash ‘Popplagið’, its brutal outro delivered with real ferocity and power. Coupled with relentless strobe lighting, it leaves attendees physically exhausted by the end. What more could you want?

9/10

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day