jessica-hardiman

Preview: Chorlton Coffee Festival

Fed up of yawning despondently into a lonely campus coffee? This one’s for you
Preview: Chorlton Coffee Festival

There may be a myth that students will happily settle for substandard, barely-palatable coffee – evident from the queue meandering its way from the library café – but funnily enough, there are some of us who want for more. The humble coffee bean can yield a lot of power, and if you’re lucky, this can be in flavour and not just energy.

For those eager to heal the effects of harsh library coffee after the stresses of exam period, Chorlton Coffee Festival is here to soothe your mangled taste buds.

With the participation of over 30 cafés, bars and restaurants from the area, Chorlton Coffee Festival takes place 28th-30th June, promising a weekend that dedicates itself to coffee and celebrates café culture – something that Britain has happily taken under its wing in recent years.

Apparently we, too, are beginning to harbour that continental thirst for casual, social and civilised caffeination that stems from the late-night haunts of Paris, Vienna and Istanbul, and this was the inspiration for festival director, Lorelei Loveridge. Having flown further afield to sample the teas and coffees of Europe and Asia, Loveridge is keen to transport the sociable ethos behind café culture to the south Manchester suburb of Chorlton.

Entry to the festival hub in Chorlton Central Church costs £3 and most other events are free. There are also pre-festival events in the lead-up to the weekend, and local businesses are adding festival specials to their menus. Talks and workshops include ‘How to Become a Home Barista’, which is perhaps one to master in time for the next deadline period.

So stop hankering after that caramel latte frappacrap with whipped cream, marshmallows, fireworks and logo-emblazoned white doves. Instead, go and support the independent businesses that work hard to provide an honest cuppa Joe.

http://www.chorltoncoffeefestival.com/

Teenager murders 19 children in Texas School Shooting

On Robb Elemetary’s last day before summer break, a teenage gunman entered the school, murdering 14 children and one teacher.