marie-claire-yates

Fashionista and The City

Marie Clare Yates presents to you ways in which you can fuel your fashion fix as an unfamiliar fresher in the fabulous city of Manchester.

The Manchester Gallery of Costume will walk you through the sparkling steps of fashion since the 17th century to present day trends. It treats you to items that showcase not only the high fashion of the time but also to the garments of the working class people in Britain. There is currently an exhibition illustrating Christian Dior’s iconic ‘New Look’ collection from 1947, which finishes 12th January 2014. Some of the items displayed include garments from his highly celebrated ‘Corolle’ Collection and a beautiful black ribbed silk cocktail dress, worn by Wallis Simpson in 1949. You’ll find this gem near Plattfields Park near Rusholme; is free entry and is open Monday-Friday: 1-5pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am-5pm.

If your agenda is in need of even more shopping (because I know you’ve check out all of my favourite vintage stores from issue one) then let me bring your attention to The Trafford Centre. I’m sure you’ve already heard of it but if you haven’t been then I command you to immediately cancel any weekend plans and dedicate it to this glittering emporium. With its Roman Empire exterior, Titanic themed food hall and an abundance of stores to explore this really is the perfect fashionista’s day out. Travel to and from The Trafford Centre is easy – just buy a tram ticket from Piccadilly to The Trafford Centre, get off at Stretford and a bus will take you directly there. A return ticket costs around £5.10.

One of UK’s biggest fashion festivals: Vogue’s Fashion Day out is coming to Manchester. On the 10th October attendees will experience international designers, exciting cocktails and Manchester’s finest Chinese food and I personally cannot wait! This exciting event takes place at the Hervia Design Emporium, 40 Spring Gardens between 18:00-21:00, register interest on the Hervia’s facebook page.

Not only does Manchester offer you countless ways for you to spend your money, it enlightens you on how you can earn it back too. On Wednesday 2nd October there are free fashion career fairs and talks on how to ‘make-it’ in the industry. Go with you CV and/or portfolio and speak to industry professionals. Talks on how to make it as a buyer, stylist, merchandiser, journalist or designer (plus more) are also offered. See event times on www.manchesterfashion.com

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway
Beauty advent calendars: The best of this year

Whether you are a makeup head, skincare junkie or self-care queen, have fun counting down to Christmas with these advent calendars. Here are The  Mancuion’s beauty team suggestions
Primark goes online – RIP sustainable fashion

Primark has announced they’re moving online. But why? Is this really necessary for an already successful company?
Extreme beauty procedures: The Botox craze

We look into rising botox trends that move beyond the face into the strangest places imaginable, like feet and bladders! Read about the doctors who perform these treatments and the reasons people are getting.