Latest News:
Manchester Mancunion Logo

// Breaking News:

//Breaking: UoM to give students more choice over remote study in provisional flexible learning plan More

// Breaking News:

Fight in University of Manchester library caught on camera

//Breaking: Fight in University of Manchester library caught on camera More

Review: Dimensions Festival

5th-9th September

Fort Punta Christo, Pula

9/10

Dimensions, sister festival from the team behind Outlook, returns to the beautiful setting of Fort Punta Christo to deliver one of the most impressive house and techno driven line ups in the world. The locations of luxurious beaches and an abandoned fort provided the perfect backdrop to the summery house and darker techno music on display.

Highlight of the first night is Move D who spins a masterful set of euphoria inducing tunes such as ‘Want You In My Soul’ and Armand Van Helden’s club classic ‘You Don’t Know Me’. The German’s enthusiasm is infectious and the crowd mirrors his joyous, prancing stage presence. Another Thursday highlight is Innervisions honcho Dixon who treats the crowd to a full 3 hours of blissful house in the sunrise slot.

Friday’s beach parties see Manchester’s own Hoya:Hoya residents deploy setting appropriate disco led sets on the coast. In stark contrast, the evening show is stolen by the pounding techno of Surgeon and Blawan in The Moat. The 30-metre deep stage intensifies the wall of sound each DJ creates to mind-blowing effect. A notable moment elsewhere occurs when Jimmy Edgar drops Aphex Twin’s unparalleled banger ‘Windowlicker’.

Across Saturday and Sunday the intensity doesn’t let up; ‘Bring’ by Randomer establishes itself as song of the festival as multiple DJs, including Pariah, draw for it as a mid-set highlight. Only one disaster arises when Omar S’ set time is changed at the last minute meaning I miss him. However, Martyn proves to be a fine alternative with his slowed down version of ‘Hackney Parrot (Special Request VIP)’ sending a bassy wave rippling through the assembled revellers. Detroit super-collective 3 Chairs, comprised of Moodymann, Rick Wilhite, Marcellus Pittman and Theo Parrish, close the festival in style. The threatened storms hold off and the light drizzle that does descend only heightens the elation of those left standing at 6am Monday morning.

Tags: 2013, dimensions, festival, Music, patrick hinton, review

Trackback from your site.