pippa-allen-kinross

University of Manchester ranked 8th for students’ quality of life

Manchester also ranked the highest for the number of pubs and bars in a student city

The University of Manchester has come 8th in the country in the University Quality of Student Life Survey by Lloyds Bank.

Of the 91 institutions studied, the top three universities were Durham, Loughborough and Cambridge.

Manchester led the way in the number of pubs and clubs in a university city, with nearly 250 different establishments to choose from, but the highest satisfaction with their social lives was reported by students in Sheffield and Newcastle.

Factors such as course satisfaction, graduate employment, crime rates, social life, sporting facilities and living standards were taken into account.

The University of Durham not only had above average course satisfaction, with nine in ten students happy with their degrees, it also ranked as having the lowest crime rate in a university town, with just 0.88 incidents reported per 1000 residents.

The survey also showed up discrepancies in graduate salaries, with up to £10,000 difference between graduates from higher and lower ranking universities.

The average salary for students leaving university currently stands at around £21,000. However, students at the London School of Economics had an average salary of £27,388 after six months, whilst those at Cardiff Metropolitan University can expect an average of £17,118.

Nitesh Patel, an economist at Lloyds Bank, said: “The top ten universities for the best quality of student life are a mix of the old, such as Oxford and Cambridge, and the relatively new such as Newcastle and Bath.

“They all score well on course satisfaction, good employment prospects and high salaries.

“Many of them are also rated highly for a good social life, particularly in the provincial cities in the north.”

Financial boost for northern creative industries under government’s Create Growth programme

Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer led the WeCreate Conference on November 13, launching the ‘Create Growth’ programme to support technological and financial development of the creative sector

Iconic Old Quad to be remodelled

The University has revealed plans to remodel the Old Quad area ahead of its bicentenary next year

The University of Manchester announces new environmental Master’s program

The new Master’s will focus on the social change needed to tackle the environmental crisis

Support for gender diverse students: Gender Expression Fund and option to add pronouns on Microsoft 365

Students can access a Gender Expression Fund, and add their pronouns on Microsoft 365, in two separate announcements which both aim to support gender diverse students