phoebe-clark
21st October 2013

Interview: Eats Everything

We caught up with Eats Everything aka Daniel Pearce to discuss the death of 90’s Garage, overnight success and off-the-cuff DJ sets on the beaches of Ibiza.

Few producers in the history of dance music have made such a rapid and far-reaching impact on the Electronic music scene as Eats Everything aka Daniel Pearce. We caught up with the larger-than-life beat maker in anticipation to the newest Electronic festival to storm the North-West, the Bugged Out Weekender.

Gobbling a path across clubland with unstoppable force, the Eats Everything sound has proved impossible to pigeon-hole with journalists and fans alike fighting tooth and nail to claim him as their own. “I suppose I’m harder to pigeonhole because I don’t really make tracks that sound the same as each other. I don’t have a signature sound per se, I just make music I like and hope that people enjoy it as much as I do.”

You can’t help but admire Eats’ determination and commitment to playing the music he believes in. His signature sound changes with the times whilst you will often find him playing anything from Disco to Jungle if you go to the right place.

“I’m not really into this 90’s house/garage stuff anymore” he muses, “that kind of died for me a year or so ago. I am really into techno again, which I used to be into when I was younger and have been incorporating a lot more of it into my sets of late.”

However, despite his high reputation among House-heads nationwide, it was only a this year that Dans brain child Edible came to fruition. How, I ask, did he manage to storm the scene so quickly? “Track ‘Entrance Song’ definitely gave me my big break” he answers, “but at the time I had no idea how successful it’d be”. I made it in the summer of 2010 and it was rejected by 5 or 6 labels before Pets picked it up in March 2011.” Similarly, the success came out of nowhere. “None of us had any idea just how big a track it would be. I think people are always on the look out for something new to latch on to and at that time that track may have been it. Who knows, but I am glad it worked!”

But the Eats Everything wave didn’t stop there, as the last twelve months have seen Eats win DJ Magazine’s ‘Best British DJ’ whilst becoming the first artist to have ever done two BBC Radio 1 Essential Mixes within the space of a year. “Although I produce, I’ve always seen myself as primarily a DJ.” Dan elaborates. “I have been DJing for 21 years and it’s the only thing I ever wanted to do. Production is just a tool to make it possible.”

This experience has earned Eats a reputation envied by many as one of the scene’s most on-point party starters as proved by last year’s off-the-cuff set with Claude Von Stroke in Ibiza. What started off as a casual lunchtime spin to 40 people finished nine hours later to a crowd at least ten times bigger. “I never plan sets, ever, I just go and see what the vibe of the party is and try and compliment it as much as possible.” The owner of this particular club then went on to say that in 10 years of living on Ibiza, he’d never witnessed a party flow so naturally. “I’ve hardly have had a bad gig in the last two years really! Playing at Bestival, the Amnesia Closing, Enter @ Space on the terrace, I’ve had so many great sets. I’m a very lucky chap.”

As the conversation draws to a close, I ask Dan when we’ll next be seeing him up North. “Well, next year I will be playing my third Bugged Out Weekender on 7-9th March. I love the music scene in the North, it’s a great place to party and DJ. Obviously the north was at the forefront of the early house and rave scene and it’s really right up there now with the clubs in Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool. There are so many respected DJ’s I’m looking forward to playing alongside at Bugged Out too.” Hosting many of the industry’s finest, the festival is quickly building up hype due to it’s return to the North and original spiritual home.

In terms of new material, “I just released a collaboration EP with Catz n Dogz which is out now on vinyl and digital and have a big project I am working on with Justin Martin throughout the whole of November”. We can’t wait to hear the edible results.

Click HERE for tickets to catch Eats Everything alongside other headliners at the Bugged Out Weekender that will take place at Pontins, Southport on the 7-9th March.

Phoebe Clarke

Phoebe Clarke

Saxophonist, Composer/Arranger and current Music student at the University of Manchester. Phoebe has been writing for the Music section of the Mancunion since 2011 and was appointed editor in September 2013.