aidan-gregory

Outrage at Chester students’ 9/11 Halloween costumes

Two Chester students have found their choice of Halloween costumes come under intense scrutiny

Two students from the University of Chester have sparked local and international anger after winning a best-costume competition dressed as the burning World Trade Center towers.

Annie Collinge and Amber Langford included burning planes, dying victims, and US flags on their creation.

The pair, labelled as the “north” and “south” towers, attended a club night at Rosies nightclub in Chester. They won first prize in the fancy dress completion, and were awarded £150 in shopping vouchers.

In response to the incident, the University of Chester and Chester Students’ Union have issued a joint statement, declaring “we utterly condemn the appalling photos”. The two students, both 19, are now under investigation by the University, and could face serious disciplinary charges.

In response to the criticism, the pair both apologised, explaining that their intention was to depict a “serious, modern-day horror”.

67 British citizens died in the September 11th attacks in 2001. The students’ choice of costumes has seen outrage from the USA, and some of the relatives of those who died in the attacks. In an article, the New York Daily News described the students’ choice of costumes as “crude”, and “sickening”.

Patricia Bingley, 79, whose son died on 9/11, said, “This is unbelievable — 9/11 happened in their lifetime. It’s hard to understand where they’ve come from to do this without a thought for those who died or the families left behind.”

The Sun has reported that the father of Amber Langford, was flying a United Express aircraft at the same time as the 9/11 attacks. In response to his daughter’s choice of costume, he said he will “have a little chat” with her.