pippa-allen-kinross

Suspect denies murdering MMU lecturer and family

The businessman denied four counts of murder at Northampton Crown Court

The man suspected of murdering a Manchester Metropolitan University lecturer Jifeng Ding and his family has denied the charges.

Ding was found stabbed to death along with his wife Helen and daughters Xing, 18, and Alice, 12, in their Northamptonshire home in May 2011.

He was a senior lecturer in the Division of Chemical and Environment Science, and also worked as an admissions tutor for Chemistry.

It is believed they were murdered on the day of the royal wedding, 29th April 2011.

Anxiang Du denied four counts of murder at Northampton Crown Court, last week.

Businessman Du is believed to have travelled to the family home a day after losing a court battle over their shared business interests, based on a failed herbal medicine venture.

After fleeing the country, Du was discovered in Morocco in July 2012 and extradited back to Britain to face charges in February of this year.

Manchester Metropolitan University staff and students left tributes to Jifeng “Jeff” Ding. A memorial bench unveiled for the expert in polymers last summer in the John Dalton garden.

At the time of the murders, a spokesperson for MMU said, “Manchester Metropolitan University is shocked and saddened by the news of the death of Dr Jeff Ding.

“As a senior lecturer, Jeff was a popular and dedicated member of staff who joined the University in 2004.

“Dr Ding taught chemistry and was also active in schools liaison and led a successful chemistry admissions team. He was also a respected hall warden where he provided pastoral support and guidance to many students.

“Jeff will be very sadly missed by all his colleagues in the Division of Chemistry and Environmental Sciences, all our staff, students and his friends at Manchester Metropolitan University and by the wider academic and research communities.”

A number of Facebook pages, including ‘The Jeff Ding Appreciation Society’ and ‘R.I.P Jeff Ding’ were also created by students after his death.

The murder trial is set to begin on 11th November 2013.

Greater Manchester Mayoral Hustings held at the Students’ Union

Ahead of the Mayoral election on May 2, the Students’ Union held Mayoral hustings where candidates made their case to students