samuel-ward

Top 5 Songs… About Names

Samuel Ward reflects on the best songs about other icons.

Lucille – B.B. King
One evening King snapped a string mid-set and, to entertain the crowd, he told the story of his guitar and how it saved his ass. The story went down so well that he snapped a string every successive night so he could tell his tale.

Mary – The Subways
The Subways are that band that is the joyous tat you forgot about until you clean out under your bed. Fresh-faced, bright and kicking, this song perfectly embodies the energy of their first album Young for Eternity. Definitely a belter.

Hanna hunt – Vampire Weekend
The scraping organ and Koenig’s shrill voice definitely make this track uniquely atmospheric. Koenig even admits that he has a fetish for names, with another big hitter on their latest album named Diane Young. I prefer Hannah.

Martell – The Cribs
Who doesn’t like the Cribs? That Wakefield accent. Those charming smiles. Ripped jeans. Bleeding faces. Oh and don’t forget the incident at the 2006 NME awards with the jar of flying saucers. Oh yes, who can’t adore the Jarmans.

Silvia – Miike Snow
One of the more thoughtful Miike Snow singles, Silvia builds up into an icy electronic ballad that really chills. Ambience is definitely sexy, and this track has plenty of it.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark