matthew-staite
3rd December 2013

Live: Crystal Fighters

Crystal Fighters put on a perfect show

23rd November

Academy 2

10/10

Crystal fighters have sold out Academy 2 for tonight’s gig, and if the dance music blaring out of the speakers before they have even come on stage signals anything, tonight is going to be electric.

The six band members enter the stage, immediately launch into ‘Solar System’ from their first album, Star of Love, and the crowd erupts. Crystal Fighters have a punchier live sound than on their records, with pulsating bass and synths, which makes the whole gig feels more like a rave than a concert. They move on to play two more older songs ‘Champion Sound’ and ‘I Do This Everyday’, featuring intense drumming on the txalaparta, a wooden xylophone-like percussion instrument played by two people standing face-to-face, and the song is a perfect demonstration of Crystal Fighters unique blend of folk blended with dance music. As the band hurl themselves into one song after another, this party is showing no signs of stopping. We are treated to seven new songs from the bands second album Cave Rave, and ‘You and I’ stands out as one of Crystal Fighter’s best songs yet.

‘Plage’, perhaps the bands most well known song, brings the biggest reaction of the whole set before the band head off stage. The crowd have a few minutes to catch their breath, before the band run back onto the stage and throw themselves into ‘I Love London’. Finishing song ‘Xtatic Truth’ is the perfect climax to the night, and sees everyone in Academy 2 go mental one last time. Crystal Fighters did not disappoint. They struck the perfect balance between playing more dance heavy material from Star of Love, and material from Cave Rave, which is clearly more mature. The whole show feels like you are invited to a Crystal Fighters party, and the atmosphere on the night doesn’t wane at any point.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark