beth-currall

It’s a date!

Struggling for ideas this Valentine’s? No fear, Beth Currall has your date night sorted, whatever kind of valentine you are this year

Valentine’s Day creeps upon us every year, and we all share the same despair, panic and frustration when making plans, whether we’re coupled up or riding solo. However, Manchester is bursting at the seams with quirky, romantic things to do this Friday, so Lifestyle have hand-picked some of the best options for all you lovely readers.

Intellectuals

Want to take your beau on an interesting, yet mentally stimulating date? One of the best places to take them would be the Manchester Museum, which not only allows you to keep the topics of conversation flowing but is also free to enter- probably best you treat your other half to a meal afterwards however, to avoid looking like too much of a cheap-skate. Fancy something a bit more chilled? Catch an independent film or an exhibition at the Cornerhouse. Gaming enthusiasts should get down to Friday Night Magic couple’s special at Fatboy 3 in the Northern Quarter, which, according to its advertisement, ‘requires smooching’.

Image conscious couples

Don’t try and pretend, we know there are loads of couples out there who can’t wait to find a place to spend Valentine’s Day that will provide a great backdrop for your PDA Instagram photos. The Alchemist bars are being transformed into Love Labs for the evening, but pairs are advised to reserve places online at www.thealchemist.uk.com . You could also take a turn on the Manchester Wheel, priced at a mere £6 for students (just gently remind your date to bring along their NUS card). For those who really want to splash out, The Podium restaurant and bar area inside the Hilton Hotel have created a special wine and dine menu for £60 per couple. With those jaw-dropping views, you’re bound to get a few likes on those soppy selfies.

Singletons

Who says you have to be loved up to enjoy Valentines? Grab your mates and a bottle of Sainsbury’s Basics vodka, and get yourself down to some of the amazing club nights Manchester has to offer. Gorilla is hosting Juicy: The Players’ Ball, where you’re guaranteed back-to-back floor fillers and a feel-good atmosphere. Sankeys are also paying homage to the romantic day with a Music is Love special, but if it’s a true cheesy night you’re looking for, Sound Control’s most popular night, Cherry, returns  to ensure that any sad singleton will have a cheap drink in their hand and a smile on their face by midnight.