nikki-patel

Top 5: Spring beauty trends

Nikki Patel discusses the top 5 Spring beauty trends to drool over this season.

‘Out with the old and in with the new’ seems to be the defining beauty zeitgeist for the coming year with a preference for metallic lids, dewy complexions and colour pop lips. So what are you waiting for? Haul yourself out of that makeup rut and freshen up your face with the top 5 beauty trends for Spring/Summer 2014.

1.The orange lip

Rearing its bold head all throughout Fashion week 2014, orange lipstick is certainly set to be the colour of the season. Spotted in a spectrum of citric hues at DKNY, Donna Karan and Rag and Bone, the orange lip is a great way to inject some warmth and sassiness into your standard makeup palette. Feeling lustful? Splash out on MAC Lipstick in Neon Orange, (a delicious matte tangerine laced with red) or mix Maybelline’s Colour Sensational Vivids Lipstick in Electric Orange and Neon Red for a perfect fruity pout.

2.Gilded lids

Instagram: @anisahadn

Metallic eye-makeup, despite being tricky to pull off is a perennially sexy makeup look that can take you from day to night with a flick of liquid liner. What’s more, this get-gorgeous eye candy channels beach goddess even on the wettest Manchester morning. Keep it simple a la Ciara at the Grammys by dabbing a shimmery powder such a Mac Pigment in Tan or Damson all over the lids, or create depth by using a dark matte shadow in your creases and highlighting your lids and inner creases with molten makeup as at Gucci Spring 2014. Finish off with natural undulating waves and you’re ready for 2014.

3.Ethereal eyes

Instagram: @fashionchalet

Whether it’s ghostly liner, nymph-like shadow or even light mascara, the white eye makeup trend will be a force to be reckoned with. Showcased this year at Alice and Olivia Tibi and Altuzzara to name a few, it is an edgy and clean alternative to the reliable smokey eye. Wash your lids with iridescent shades of pink and white such as Bobbi Brown eye shadow in Bone and Shell for a fresh, doe-eyed look or get graphic with Illamasqua Precision ink in Scribe with a frosty feline flick across the top lid.

4.Low-key nails

Instagram: @nailsby_am

The Spring 2014 runways at Nina Ricci, Milly and Lela Rose went back-to-basics simple and sophisticated two-tone nails. 2013, the year of graphic prints, dagger nails and embellishments has officially passed in favour of a cleaner, shorter and more natural look. They key to this look is in its neatness so keep a nail file handy and make strengthening a habit. Ready for the trend transition? Create a fresh yet preppy nail look with a pastel pink base and baby blue crescents at the nail base. Essie polishes in Fiji and Find Me an Oasis are fail-safe.

5.Get the glow

Instagram: @narsissist

As much as I love a natural sun-kissed look us Northerner’s should know by now that when it comes to ‘getting the glow’ you have to fake it to make it. As we welcome the new year, Philip Lim and J Mendel gave fresh, matte bases the boot in favour of dewy, subtly shimmery complexions and it’s high time to follow suit. Get the balance between luminescent perfection and shine overkill just right by mixing a few drops of Nars illuminator in Copacabana or Revlon Skinlights into your regular foundation.

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

What the Croc? Pringles x Crocs and other crazy collabs

We explore some of Crocs’ weird collaborations with brands, artists, and designers that have rocked the fashion world as of late

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?