• Female students more ‘psychologically resilient’

charlie-spargo

Female students more ‘psychologically resilient’

In comparison to men, women with ‘resilience’ are much more likely to get a first or 2:1 in their first year than those without

A study by Leeds Metropolitan University on students entering their first year has found that those with “psychological resilience” are likely to perform better, with women far outpacing men.

The study was carried out by a collaboration between Leeds Metropolitan’s Counselling Service and the Institute of Sport, Physical Activity and Leisure.

1,534 full-time students entering the University were tested for the “capacity to adapt to new challenges” and their scores used to predict their attainment mark at the end of the first year.

The results were presented in a study published in the British Journal of Guidance and Counselling.

Overall, it was found that those with the characteristic of resilience outperformed those who did not.

However, those who were both female and with the capacity for psychological resilience were two times as likely to achieve a 2:1 or first in their first year than similar men.

Leeds Metropolitan’s Jim McKenna, professor of physical activity and health, said “Although… the outcomes suggested similar academic performance by gender, higher resilience was progressively and incrementally associated with higher grade profiles for females”.

In certain cases, men with resilience clearly underperformed in comparison to those without the characteristic, and many dropped out of the study. This trend was not reflected in the women observed.

This may show that the system of higher education is better suited to tough-minded women than men.

“There are concerns at how the general nature of [higher education] has evolved to favour female students,” said John Allan, who carried out the study.

In regards to the underperforming male students, he added, “It could easily represent a purposeful and functional choice.”

The researchers also recommended that male students receive extra counselling to ensure they fulfil their academic potential.

At the University, targeted intervention in order for males to access counselling has already been brought in.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.