aidan-gregory

Islamic Society hosts ‘Community Week’

The Islamic Society have been fundraising for Christie hospital as part of their campaign to give back to the local community

The Islamic society have raised more than £6,400 for Christie hospital after a week of charity events.

“Community week” involved a series of events which aimed to give back to the local community. It involved a charity football tournament, cake selling, a feed the homeless walk, and the redecorating of Shakespeare House; a local community centre.

Isoc members have also been writing letters of support to patients on the children’s Oncology ward at Christie.

In an interview with The Mancunion, Hiba Khan, third year material science and engineering, and vice president of Isoc’s student affairs committee, explained the reasons behind organising community week.

“We came together as a committee, and our membership decided to get involved in this campaign called community week”, she said. “We looked at the Islamic inspiration for giving back to your community, which is a fundamental and integral part of the faith”.

When asked why Isoc chose Christie Hospital, Khan said, “Cancer affects all of us regardless of age, gender, race or background. It’s a really beautiful cause to raise for.”

On Saturday 8th March, Isoc went on a sponsored walk up Mount Snowdon in difficult conditions.

Khan was one of the students climbing the mountain.

“I’d done it a few times before but never seen weather as shocking as [it was]”, she said. “The Snowdon trip raised £5,000 on its own; we took about eighty people up”.

A blind student was one of the first to reach the top of the mountain. He is studying for a masters, and is an active volunteer for Isoc.

Reflecting on the week of events, Khan said, “Hopefully next week we will go down to Christies and give them the cheque.

“We’ve had a huge turnout, and it’s been lovely speaking to members of the local community.”