patrick-hinton
4th July 2014

Live: Pangaea – The Summer Of Love

Everywhere you stood at Pangaea the party atmosphere remained bubbling

5th June

UoMSU

7/10

The spirit of ’67 was alive and well inside the Student’s Union at this year’s ‘Summer Of Love’ edition of Pangaea Festival. The vibrant and colourful theme matched the atmosphere within the packed, sold out event.

Karma Kid was one such name that truly brought the fun. Playing behind a VW Camper Van styled booth, his set had everyone in Academy 2 dancing with a grin with selections like Justin Timberlake’s ‘Rock Your Body’.

This provided a tough act to follow, and unfortunately Shadow Child failed match it, causing a sharp dip of the energy in the room. His considerable popularity is ever perplexing and I bid a hasty exit shortly into his very safe and dull drop orientated set.

Making my way outside I was met the brassy tones of Riot Jazz, particularly delighting with a medley of Hudson Mohawke covers. The outdoor stage was a very welcome addition, not previously present at January’s Pangaea in which this area was just a large smoking zone. Coupled with the dry weather and decent sound system the new stage meant everywhere you stood at Pangaea the party atmosphere remained bubbling.

Around the other side of the union in the outdoor tent Todd Edwards was spinning a classic garage filled set that proved the highlight of the night. I was hoping we’d hear an airing of Daft Punk’s ‘Face To Face’ which features Edwards’s vocals, and when he did play it he sang the vocals live down the mic, perfect.

Of course, no Pangaea is complete without wandering around all the rooms of the union hosted by local promoters. Bank & Mekka residents in Room 2 kept me in one place the longest with thumping house and techno, and NXNW residents closed the night joyously in the Union Bar with plenty of disco.

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility