nikki-patel
23rd September 2014

Beauty Starts in the Kitchen

Manchester students spend an average of £700 a year on beauty products meaning that despite looking great we are also riddled with debt. However, there’s no need to panic, as by simply heading to the kitchen instead of the beauty counter you can look fabulous without that all too familiar bout of beauty-buyers shame.

Egg and Olive Oil Hair Mask

If your hair is damaged and frazzled from years of straightening and brushing, extortionate Kerastase treatments aren’t necessarily the only option. Simply whisk two egg whites with four tablespoons of olive oil and apply to dry hair, leaving to soak in a shower cap. After 30 minutes, rinse out with warm water. Use this treatment a few times a month to restore damaged hair to its original glossy state, leaving it feeling soft and hydrated.

Berry-Yoghurt Sun Repair Mask

For those of you lucky enough to have had a summer of sun, sea and sangria, chances are your skin is feeling a little sun-stricken. Instead of investing in expensive and unreliable sun rescue treatments, just mash 10 blueberries and mix with a tablespoon of natural yoghurt before applying to your face for 15 minutes. The vitamin-rich berries help to fight fine lines and dryness caused by sun exposure and the lactic acid of the yoghurt exfoliates the upper layers of the skin, repairing UV damage.

DIY Salt Spray

Just because the holidays are over doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice your mermaid-esque locks.  Bring a bit of the beach to Manchester by mixing two cups of warm water, two tbsp of sea salt, two tbsp of vodka and a blob of hair gel and pouring into an empty spray bottle. Next spray onto damp hair, scrunch and let it dry naturally for perfectly textured tresses this semester.

Green Tea and Grapefruit Toner

This toner, which works wonders for oily/combination skin helps to tighten pores, stunt sebum production and calm enflamed acne. All you need is two green tea bags steeped in water, the juice of half a grapefruit and a ¼ cup of witch hazel. Bottle up and refrigerate for daily use.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse