Recipe: Blackberry Mojito

Claire Cottis shows us how to mix a delicious seasonal cocktail

We are often being told that the smartest way to food shop is to go local and seasonal. With blackberries being in season during autumn, why not try a fruity twist on a cocktail classic this October? Some supermarkets will try and charge you a bomb for nothing more than a handful of these berries, so scope out the frozen section of Lidl or some of the Curry Mile’s supermarkets for a cheaper option.

Ingredients:
makes one glass

– Half a lime, cut into wedges
– 5/6 mint leaves
– 1 and ½ tablespoons of sugar
– 5 blackberries
– 1 shot of white rum (or vodka)
– Sparkling water
– Ice

Method:

Firstly, fill a sandwich bag with ice cubes, seal and bash with a rolling pin until all the contents is crushed. Next, in a tall glass, mix the lime wedges, mint, sugar and blackberries with a wooden spoon until the sugar is no longer visible. Add a handful of the crushed ice and pour over a shot of rum or vodka. Finally, top with sparkling water and give it a stir—you could even add a whole sprig of mint and a few extra berries for garnish to impress your housemates. Or if you really want to go all out, invest in a pack of cocktail umbrellas and novelty straws!

Behold the Bottomless Feast at Red’s True BBQ

Get legless and stuffed, at Red’s True Barbecue’s festive Bottomless Feast with both Meat-Lover and Meat-Free platters on offer!

Soy to the World! The Vegan Christmas Markets are here

A review of the Northern Vegan Christmas Markets that brought environmentally and animal-friendly festive cheer to all visitors

Manchester’s finest festive feasts

From New Century to Escape to Freight Island, FOLK to Reds True Barbeque, we’ve got all your festive food needs covered!

Coffee shops return with a latte new festive drinks

With so many festive additions, which menus will make you frappé this Christmas?