Recipe: Blackberry Mojito

Claire Cottis shows us how to mix a delicious seasonal cocktail

We are often being told that the smartest way to food shop is to go local and seasonal. With blackberries being in season during autumn, why not try a fruity twist on a cocktail classic this October? Some supermarkets will try and charge you a bomb for nothing more than a handful of these berries, so scope out the frozen section of Lidl or some of the Curry Mile’s supermarkets for a cheaper option.

Ingredients:
makes one glass

– Half a lime, cut into wedges
– 5/6 mint leaves
– 1 and ½ tablespoons of sugar
– 5 blackberries
– 1 shot of white rum (or vodka)
– Sparkling water
– Ice

Method:

Firstly, fill a sandwich bag with ice cubes, seal and bash with a rolling pin until all the contents is crushed. Next, in a tall glass, mix the lime wedges, mint, sugar and blackberries with a wooden spoon until the sugar is no longer visible. Add a handful of the crushed ice and pour over a shot of rum or vodka. Finally, top with sparkling water and give it a stir—you could even add a whole sprig of mint and a few extra berries for garnish to impress your housemates. Or if you really want to go all out, invest in a pack of cocktail umbrellas and novelty straws!

Cooking a week of TikTok recipes on a student budget

Cooking inspiration can be hard to come by as a busy student, which is why I tried out a week’s worth of TikTok recipes to see if exciting meals could be achieved on a student budget

TikTok and Teatox: Why social media is sucking the joy out of food

From ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos to fad diet trends, social media’s rampant championing of toxic diet culture needs to stop

Margarita Month at Zouk: All style, less substance

Zouk is offering a trio of Margaritas this February to celebrate Margarita Month; yet it seems like all the thought was put into presentation, and less into the drink itself

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes