leonie-dunn
2nd December 2014

Chaos to Order: Manchester’s Central Library

Leonie Dunn looks to Library Live’s last event that aimed to smash down cultural presumptions and inhibitions surrounding Manchester’s Central Library

When you think of a libraey, there are multiple things that come to mind and it goes without saying that chaos certainly would not be one of them. As the name Chaos to Order suggests this event unleashed a pandemonium on Manchester’s Central Library.

The Ivor Novello Award winning art rock band Everything Everything took over the Library from the 10th of November working alongside a range of different artists and creative people, in a week that challenged the general perception of libraries today.

It was a time to truly test the limits of the possibilities of the 21st century library as a centre for academia alone. However this radical sense of disorder seems only fitting in amongst Manchester’s history of radicalization and innovation. The Central Library was a fitting and generous arena for the residency of Library Live, as the events drew inspiration from its stunning architecture and special collections.

They wanted to change the perception of the dying libraries from a place that holds dusty books in concealed aisles to somewhere vibrant and exciting. The point that is at hand is that as times are moving on so are libraries and academia. If you have been to Manchester’s Central Library since it’s re-opening you will know exactly what they are jesting at. It even has a music room under its belt! That’s a culture smash if there ever was one.

Poetic Prizes: The Forward Prizes takes on the North

After relocating to Manchester’s Contract Theatre, the Mancunion attends the prestigious Forward Prizes for a night of awe and bereavement

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book