katie-burns

Live: Little Comets

Katie Burns heads to Victoria Warehouse’s first Whisky Sessions festival for an empty but intimate show with Little Comets.

22nd November

Victoria Warehouse

7/10

After the experience that was Vevo’s Halloween party, The Mancunion once again decided to send me to Victoria Warehouse. This time, though, the atmosphere was chilled, there was fancy soap in the bathrooms and each ticket came with three free whiskys. I was there to watch Little Comets at the first ever Whisky Sessions Festival. Due to going up against main stage headliners Gomez, the crowd ended up a lot smaller than they deserved. However, there were still a few devotees there to witness what turned out to be a great gig, despite the setbacks.

A wide range of songs led to an hour of variety, ranging from the emotionally charged ‘Violence out tonight’ to an upbeat, high energy ‘Joanna.’ The band have a lot to show off, blending styles and experimenting with their concoctions, and they’re not afraid to show off some of their newer stuff, among which there were a couple of fledgling stadium pleasers.

They have matured musically quite a bit over their time as a band, honing their talents, carving their path. Luckily though, they haven’t lost the freshness of a fledgling act or their gloriously DIY aesthetic. Sure, they might not do that thing with a bit of string anymore, but their set lists came written on paper plates, and their playing style exhibits the perfect amount of ramshackle abandon. With a new album due out early next year, I can’t wait to see what the future holds.