jenny-sterne
2nd February 2015

Save the Children

University of Manchester Save the Children organise fundraising events to raise awareness and support for the national charities work in over 120 countries are looking for more volunteers

University of Manchester Save the Children work with the national charity Save the Children UK by supporting its work in 120 countries. They help the charity to save children’s lives, fight for their rights and help them fulfill their potential. They do this by organizing fundraising events and creating awareness with aims to give children a brighter future!

They are looking for students who are passionate in making the world a better place for our children. It does not matter whether you have any experiences in fundraising; what matters is the compassion you see in yourself. Each of us has the ability to make a difference. So join them and inspire them with your ideas to achieve the goal together!

The last event they organised was Christmas Jumper Day, in conjunction with the annual celebration of Christmas Jumper Day by the national charity before they took a break for Christmas and first semester exam. It was held on the 8th of December 2014 in Students’ Union.

Their next event will be in collaboration with the Filipino Society, they will be having a food stall selling Filipino food and a stall for a bake sale. Our shared aim is to raise donations for children in the Philippines. The event will be on going for two days, the 17th and 18th of February at the Students’ Union. Students are welcome to join them manning the booths or volunteer to collect donations around campus.

They are also collaborating with Belly Dancing Society by carrying out a Belly Dancing workshop, a 2-hour long workshop to teach belly-dancing enthusiasts the basics. With the full support from Belly Dancing Society, all class fees collected will be channeled to Save the Children.

Save the Children UK is also looking for volunteers to help out with collecting donations after a concert in March.

They are having a meeting with all members on the 11th of February, at room 3 in SU from 2 – 3pm; so for those who are interested to know better about their upcoming plans can drop by to attend their meeting.

If you want to get involved with the upcoming events or to suggest more fundraising ideas, e-mail them or register yourself as a member of Save the Children on the Students’ Union website and you will receive emails of any updates.

Contact them at:
[email protected]

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village