holly_smith

What’s On This Week

Your inside guide to what’s happening in the city this week

Black Sheep @ The National Centre for Craft and Design

14 February 2015 – 9 May 2015

Free Entry

This exhibition is an exploration of the edgier side of one of the most ancient constructed materials in the world. Felt. It looks at artists who create sometimes disturbing and bizarre oddities and technically brilliant objects. Visitors will discover felt teddy bear skulls and mutated organisms by Stephanie Metz, seamless showstopping garments by Horst Couture and sculptural natural forms by Marjolein Dallinga.

Cornelia Parker @ Whitworth Art Gallery

14 February 2015 – 31 May 2015

Free Entry

Cornelia Parker’s work invites you to witness the transformation of ordinary objects into something compelling and extraordinary. It is an extensive exhibition, one that features a wide range of work made during Parker’s career, from her signature piece Cold Dark Matter; An Exploded View (1991) alongside two important new commissions and many other new works.

Not: The Art of Resistance @ The Manchester School of Art

19 January 2015 – 27 February 2015

Free Entry

The exhibition explores the work of contemporary artists who have attempted to enact alternative modes of resistance. Jenny Holzer, Andrea Fraser and Carey Young are just three of the artists involved in this collection. They demand (or sometimes politely request) that we rethink and reconfigure our relationship with the wider world.

A celebration of Jewish art in Manchester: Introducing Synagogue Scratch

This month, Synagogue Scratch is returning to Manchester Jewish Museum. The series represents a unique opportunity to enjoy new, groundbreaking performances by Jewish artists, in the museum’s beautifully preserved 1874 Synagogue.

Making Manchester #3: Eleanor Haigh

Performing across the UK from Edinburgh Fringe to London, Eleanor Haigh embraces the spotlight with a multitude of talent. She breaks down what draws her to the arts and the biggest challenges facing artists today.

Horoscopes: Art meets star signs

This week we’re helping you align your planets with paintings. Check out the artist whose style suits your star sign.

Making Manchester #2: Laurent Swyngedauw

Continuing our Mancunian series, Laurent Swyngedauw tells us the best spots for capturing great shots in Manchester, and how make a photograph your own