nikki-patel
23rd February 2015

Fitness beauty fixes

Whether you spin, lift or Zumba your way to fitness, the athletic lifestyle can take it’s toll on your beauty regime. With a few simple tweaks nothing will ever get in the way of your workout sesh again

Activity: Jogging, ‘Mare: Chapped lips
Dry, chapped lips are often a sign of what’s going on inside your body, meaning that you’re probably dehydrated. Bump up the water intake and tone down your coffee and alcohol consumption (apologies) to hydrate from the inside out. Breathing through your mouth and licking your lips during your session also dramatically dries them out so try to tweak your technique. Failing that, a good slick of Burt’s Bees Pink Grapefruit Lipbalm, £3.69 before and after your workout will soften any flakes and leave them feeling supple.

Activity: Swimming, ‘Mare: Itchy skin
Diving into chlorinated water without some form of dermo-protectant is a skin sin, so think twice before you hit the Aquatics Centre. There are loads of ‘skin-shields’ out there for avid swimmers, but coconut oil slathered on the skin and hair works just as well due to its acidity. A post-dip shower is essential, as is nourishing your skin while it’s still damp. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter, £4.15, has never failed me.

Activity: Spinning, ‘Mare: Rogue tendrils
Despite our greatest efforts, that pre-workout bun/ponytail of steel never seems to behave, meaning a quick, extremely fuzzy sprint out of the gym doors and onto the Magic Bus. The Goody Simple Style Spin Pin, £5.49 grabs your hair from underneath for a tight hold and a flawless sporty finish as you spin to victory.

Activity: Aerobics, ‘Mare: Dry, over washed hair
If you’re an avid hairwasher because you can’t stand leaving the house with sweaty hair, it’s important to invest in a silicone-free hydrating shampoo. Kerastase Elixir Ultime Huile Lavante Bain, £16.00 is worth splashing out for to save your precious tendrils from overdrying and split ends. A weekly nourishing mask such as Kerastase Masque Nutri-Thermique, £21.00, is also vital as it gives our chance a hair to recover from the heat, sweat and over-washing that comes with your extremely admirable active lifestyle.

Activity: Yoga, ‘Mare: Frizz
All of that twisting, turning and grinding on your yoga mat can leave your previously sleek ponytail in disarray. To avoid any hair ‘mares, be sure to mist Batiste Dry Shampoo, £2,99 along your hairline and the nape of your neck as these are most fuzz-prone areas. Combing in a leave-in serum is also a good idea and means that you can go from the gym to uni without the trauma of brushing it through afterwards.

Zendaya and the art of theme dressing

Are Zendaya and stylist Law Roach the fashion worlds answer to Lennon and McCartney?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse