nikki-patel
23rd February 2015

Fitness beauty fixes

Whether you spin, lift or Zumba your way to fitness, the athletic lifestyle can take it’s toll on your beauty regime. With a few simple tweaks nothing will ever get in the way of your workout sesh again

Activity: Jogging, ‘Mare: Chapped lips
Dry, chapped lips are often a sign of what’s going on inside your body, meaning that you’re probably dehydrated. Bump up the water intake and tone down your coffee and alcohol consumption (apologies) to hydrate from the inside out. Breathing through your mouth and licking your lips during your session also dramatically dries them out so try to tweak your technique. Failing that, a good slick of Burt’s Bees Pink Grapefruit Lipbalm, £3.69 before and after your workout will soften any flakes and leave them feeling supple.

Activity: Swimming, ‘Mare: Itchy skin
Diving into chlorinated water without some form of dermo-protectant is a skin sin, so think twice before you hit the Aquatics Centre. There are loads of ‘skin-shields’ out there for avid swimmers, but coconut oil slathered on the skin and hair works just as well due to its acidity. A post-dip shower is essential, as is nourishing your skin while it’s still damp. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter, £4.15, has never failed me.

Activity: Spinning, ‘Mare: Rogue tendrils
Despite our greatest efforts, that pre-workout bun/ponytail of steel never seems to behave, meaning a quick, extremely fuzzy sprint out of the gym doors and onto the Magic Bus. The Goody Simple Style Spin Pin, £5.49 grabs your hair from underneath for a tight hold and a flawless sporty finish as you spin to victory.

Activity: Aerobics, ‘Mare: Dry, over washed hair
If you’re an avid hairwasher because you can’t stand leaving the house with sweaty hair, it’s important to invest in a silicone-free hydrating shampoo. Kerastase Elixir Ultime Huile Lavante Bain, £16.00 is worth splashing out for to save your precious tendrils from overdrying and split ends. A weekly nourishing mask such as Kerastase Masque Nutri-Thermique, £21.00, is also vital as it gives our chance a hair to recover from the heat, sweat and over-washing that comes with your extremely admirable active lifestyle.

Activity: Yoga, ‘Mare: Frizz
All of that twisting, turning and grinding on your yoga mat can leave your previously sleek ponytail in disarray. To avoid any hair ‘mares, be sure to mist Batiste Dry Shampoo, £2,99 along your hairline and the nape of your neck as these are most fuzz-prone areas. Combing in a leave-in serum is also a good idea and means that you can go from the gym to uni without the trauma of brushing it through afterwards.

Vivienne Westwood: The ‘Queen of British Fashion’ and her orb

We take a look at the life and works of the much-loved Dame Vivienne Westwood, from visiting Buckingham Palace commando to telling people not to buy clothes. Who was the Queen of fashion?

Make-up Soc’s guide to Winter glam

Check out the President of Makeup Society’s guide to winter glam makeup for the holiday season this year

In the Beauty Bag #11: Union Affairs Officer Sam Bronheim

Recent graduate and SU representative Sam Bronheim shares her beauty journey, tips she learnt from her mom and makeup bargains

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway