david-crawley

Club: Shadow Child @ Sankeys

Great music is lost on an abrasive crowd

14th February

Sankeys

6/10

Sankeys was full of party people ready to explode. A younger crowd, 18 to 25 and dressed in an eerily uniform way.

Ryan Croft started by playing his own flavour of minimal with jacking basslines, slow and smooth R’n’B vocal samples and chopped/twisted synths. The melodies stack and build the songs to understated intense points. Three artists that his set bring to mind are Fake Blood, Cyril Hahn & Booka Shade. The samples are few and meticulously placed. This crowd relished this cold, edgy minimal sound. The set went on to feature more tech-house tracks with novel left-field/experimental bass-samples.

Low Steppa’s set was both warmer and faster and the change in tone rallied the crowd. The selection was more varied and samples deftly bridged tracks. All of the modern staples were present: the reversed/splashy hi hat, snare-rolls leading up to choruses & drop leading onto a quick synth melody. Samples from AlunaGeorge and other pop songs did not sounds trashy or out of place in combination with vocal samples saying “shake my ass” and “hit it up” and spoken word reflections on Detroit Techno.

Shadowchild is a world-class DJ. Tracks with dirty, wobbling basslines were blended into a wide range of disco, soul and funky house tracks. Unafraid to cross genres everything felt easy & not at all forced. It just worked. This change in tone was a breath of fresh air compared to the feeling of studied, mass-produced cool in some earlier tracks from previous sets. The crowd enjoyed the basslines and even forgot to pose for a while.

Something that was entirely new and without precedent (in my experience at dance events in Manchester) was the abrasive crowd. There was pushing, aggressive staring and lots of shuffling in white trainers & snapbacks. Some people clearly wanted to be in Sankeys only because it is called Sankeys but not to have a good time with each other or add positively to the atmosphere. Never have I seen so many selfies taken on the dancefloor.

Manchester Artist Spotlight: pyncher

Manchester Artist Spotlight: pyncher

Get to know one of manchester hottest up and coming bands! pyncher give us the low down.
Cirque du Soleil: In conversation with Roger Hewett

Jessica Hamilton interviews band leader Roger Hewett ahead of Cirque du Soleil: Corteo’s residency at AO Arena
Live Review: Kim Wilde at Bridgewater Hall

Legendary singer Kim Wilde’s The Greatest Hits Tour played at Bridgewater Hall – where she was joined by China Crisis.
Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Mancunian rapper Aitch played an intimate album launch show, combining old favourites and new numbers for a sold out crowd.