alice-williams
22nd September 2015

Staying Safe in Manchester

Here’s how to keep yourself safe on the mean streets of Manchester

Students in Manchester are constantly reminded to be aware of street safety, but with an influx of shiny new freshers it’s definitely a conversation worth having. Whether you’ve grown up in a quiet country village, shielded from the frantic pace of the city or are in fact a hardened city-dweller, it’s still worth being aware of what you should do if you do happen to feel threatened in Manchester.

Firstly, consider a few preventative measures. Although assault is categorically never the victim’s fault, it might be worth employing a bit of common sense, if only to avoid the embarrassment of having to state that you were listening to Billy Joel full blast through your headphones in the police report. Whenever possible try to walk home from nights out in groups–at least with one other person.

If walking home alone is completely unavoidable, or you’re that lone wolf who always seems to be M.I.A. from the club at about 2.30, then keep to the well-lit areas. Now is not the time to venture off the beaten track, convinced that crashing through the darkened Fallowfield cycle path with your cheesy chips will get you back quicker.

Now is also not the time to whip out your oversized Beats by Dr. Dre and close yourself off from all sensory perception. If you do even feel the slightest bit uncomfortable or suspect that you may be being followed, you can call the University of Manchester security team and summon your very own bodyguards to escort you safely home. Their numbers are:  0161 275 2728 or 0161 306 9966.

Manchester City Council has also set up Student Safety Zones; located in businesses around the Oxford Road Corridor, they offer a safe place to wait or call a registered taxi. All places offering this service have a ‘safe zone’ sticker in the window and will be more than happy to take you in.

Keep aware of your surroundings and stay safe!