millie-kershaw

Fresh off the catwalk: Autumn Makeup Trends

Looking for ways to spruce up your makeup bag? Beauty Editor Millie Kershaw suggests some styles you can ‘conker’ (get it?) this autumn

Summer has well and truly blown itself out, and we are left resigned to Manchester drizzle from here on in. But fear not!  Not everything needs to be grey and bleak. You may be casting aside your shimmery cheek colours and coral-hued lip-glosses until another sunny day, but Autumn/Winter catwalk trends can be equally vibrant.

‘Fifty shades of greige’

A fabulously mediocre new term coined on the Marc Jacobs catwalks, ‘greige’ is seemingly the new black when it comes to a smoky eye.  Don’t reach for moody, dark tones around your peepers and instead try a wash of something more neutral.  Burberry went for ‘natural, earthy tones’ and Prada for warmth in their models’ eye looks.

Fruity lips

Bold lip colours are popular every season and this year is no exception.  In a move away from the trend of deep, vampy lips in the colder months, fashion houses made up their modules in warmer, fruity tones:  Marc Jacobs chose “velvety, eggplant” colour lips, with Carolina Herrara and Emmanuel Ungano opting for berry; raspberry and blackberry.

70s glow

In line with the injection of Seventies style into Autumn/Winter fashion this season, the makeup looks also pertain to the retro and flamboyant decade. Many brands were channelling 70s glamour icons such as Farrah Fawcett and Jerry Hall; radiant, bronzed skin that’s more natural than the caked-on, contoured looks we’re seeing today. Balmain’s “glowing skin” and Gucci’s “no-makeup makeup” were also fine examples of the 70s effortless style, with Max Mara also keeping it “fresh but sexy.”  Who said bronzer had to be limited to summer time?

Autumn Leaves

Nothing champions an autumn beauty edit quite like nail colours.  As soon as the temperature drops, it’s away with the pastel blues and sun-kissed corals and it’s time to rummage for those leafy shades again.  Here are some of our favourites.

Photo: The Mancunion

(L-R) No7 ‘Hot to Trot’, Kiko ‘346, Olive Drab’, Maybelline Forever Strong Nail Polish in ‘Midnight Red’, Estée Lauder ‘Blue Blood’, OPI ‘Act Your Beige!’, Essie ‘Chinchilly’, Essie ‘Sole Mate’.

The evolution of Coachella fashion: From glam to casual, has the fun faded?

Looking back at the biggest festival of the year and why it was such a disappointment for fashion fans

On screen style report #8: Samantha Jones

How would the original girlboss, Samantha Jones, tear up Manhattan in 2024? One showstopping look at a time…

The most iconic closets from TV and Film

Closets that never end, closets that pick your outfit for you, and closets controlled with a remote… ah the life of a fictional girlboss

Summer’s best defence: The top five sunscreen picks for your skincare

Shield your skin from harmful UV rays with our top five sunscreen picks; from lightweight formulas to advanced skincare benefits, these sunscreens offer protection and nourishment for summer-ready skin