elliott-mills

The Cultural Appropriation Game

With issues of cultural appropriation surrounding this year’s Pangaea, Elliott Mills takes a humorous look at the controversy
The Cultural Appropriation Game

At this year’s Freshers’ edition of the Pangaea Festival, many people were disappointed to discover that cultural appropriation was kicked off the bill. After it was revealed that the theme of Pangaea would encourage people to dress up in Native American attire, such as the outfit of Tiger Lily from the well-known tale of Peter Pan, the festival then issued a statement prohibiting such practice.

They claimed that the culturally insensitive nature of such a costume simply made it off-limits. Worse still, this catastrophe was compounded when rumours suggested that, whilst cultural appropriation would not attend, Example would.

I was keen to get some feedback from those students who were going to the festival on the news that borrowing cultures was off limits this year. I took to the streets and the responses were mixed. Some said that this move from the festival’s organisers was not only sensible but necessary, because it halted the act of dominant cultures using strategic anti-essentialism to steal from minority cultures that have been historically subordinated.

Others claimed that the proposed fantasy and boundless exploration, as well as expression of the costume theme in question, undermined the notion that cultural appropriation could even be applied within this hermetic and unique situation. On the other hand, one student simply told me that he was gutted that cultural appropriation was banned because “they were sick at warehouse project” when he last saw them.

It is difficult to know where exactly to stand on this issue really, but with this semester’s ‘Dress Up As Your Favourite Childhood Minority character’ social just around the corner, it seems as though the fun police are sure to be back before long.

Halsey vs Capitol Records: Are record labels the bad guys?

After kicking off on TikTok and Twitter, singer Halsey has continued the age-long saga of artist vs record label. But record labels aren’t always in the wrong – here’s why
Doctor Who finds it’s newest Time Lord

Doctor Who finds it’s newest Time Lord

Doctor Who finally welcomes Ncuti Gatwa as its first black doctor (if we conveniently forget the Timeless Child twist)
Irish Politics, not for the Feint hearted: Sinn Fein to lead Stormont for the first time in 100 years

Does Sinn Fein’s recent electoral victory secure the possibility of reunification for Ireland?
What’s on the menu this week? Calories

What’s on the menu this week? Calories

Adding calories to menus is more likely to exacerbate disordered eating rather than solve the UK obesity crisis