lina-jfairi

Review: Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse is a passable teen movie, even though it is reliant upon a number of genre tropes
Photo: Paramount Pictures

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse. The three protagonists in this movie are teenagers who have been best friends for a long time. They are Ben (Tye Sheridan), Carter (Logan Miller) and Augie (Joey Morgan). Denise (Sarah Dumont) plays the role of a sexy teen dream with long legs and a trim figure. The lead scout is David Koechner, known as the scout leader Rogers.

The movie starts off with the three main characters in a classroom with scout leader Rogers recruiting for new scouts… with only one attendee. No new successful recruits are achieved. They all decide to meet at their usual campsite. Augie is the only one of the three last members that is still happy with being a member of the scouts. The other two feel differently. Ben and Carter drive into a deer and get interrupted. Later, Carter’s sister Kendal (Halston Sage), along with her other friends, invite the two to the ‘Secret Seniors Party’. Just before they leave, they find that the deer has vanished.

The pair later go to buy alcohol when they meet Denise (Sarah Dumont), who works at the local strip club as a cocktail waitress. She and Ben get on instantly; she agrees to buy alcohol for them. They make their way to Augie to set up their campsite at the woods. Carter goes to convince Ben to make their way to the ‘Secret Seniors Party’; Augie catches up and feels a sense of disappointment. Ben and Carter drive into town only to find that the strip club bouncer is no longer at the door. They decide to sneak in but are faced by two zombies… they are quickly saved by Denise.

Augie decides to go to Rogers’s house, only to be attacked by him. They finally manage to drive to the party, only to realize that they have been given the wrong address. Carter recalls that his sister Kendal keeps a diary, where the address of the party is likely to be stored. Denise decides to go to the military to tell them about the un-evacuated party, while the three main characters make a final stop at a hardware store and load up with domestic weaponry. They manage to locate the party and go on to protect love interests and friends. They get to a stage where Augie reveals his homemade bomb. Zombies run onto the scene. Augie sets the bomb alight as they jump out of a garbage chute. The military arrive and the love interest is sealed—Ben and Kendal Kiss.

Augie did a good job of being the good scout-abiding member with plenty of taught tricks up his sleeve. Ben was in the middle: He wanted to remain a scout but also wanted to do usual teen things. Carter did a fair job of being the annoying youngster who wanted to always break rules, but is a do-gooder and so stays alive as per usual in teen flicks. The eventuality of this movie is typical of that of an American horror teen flick. Denise is not overly sexual but acts as more of a female do-gooder who subliminally, at intervals, leads the team. Overall, a good teen flick.

Camera angles on Denise tended to be heroic rather than a striptease. Ben was depicted as the caring one who wanted well and lighting tended to be best on him out of the three scout members. Carter tended to be more in shadows. Augie was typically associated with food and overeating. A useful projection of cheap-yet-effective form of props throughout scenes was involved. The costumes remained the same throughout the movie but use of light variety and sets accumulated to generative formulations of scenes and events. The director managed to tell the story well. He moved from one scene to the other through a good use of light harmony and relevant actor/actress scene entry.

3/5

Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.
Moon Knight: A predictable return to Marvel’s superhero formula

Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke shine in this disappointing first outing of one of Marvel’s most controversial characters
Review: The Kardashians

Review: The Kardashians

Keeping Up is long gone, it’s all about the Kardashian’s new show… The Kardashians! But with it only being available on Disney+, is it worth the subscription?
Resurgence of the witch: The modern feminist icon?

From Rosemary’s Baby to Midsommar, how has the figure of the witch changed in cinema and beyond?